News Apple's 10-Core M1 Pro, M1 Max CPUs Pack Up To 32-Core GPU, 64GB RAM

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The new Apple notebook PCs have 3 Thunderbolt 4.0 ports and an HDMI port. I'm guessing the HDMI port is an adapter of the 4th Thunderbolt 4.0 port (Thunderbolt ports come in pairs).

I guess their are a lot of obsolete HDMI monitors and TVs around - enough to make changing a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port into an HDMI port. I guess you could buy an adapter to make the HDMI port into a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port (like if you have a video monitor with a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port).

TinyFatMan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2021
AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) Revenue $9.76 billion
Apple Revenue US$274.515 billion (2020)
nVidia Revenue US$10.92 billion (2020)

Where are AMD processors manufactured?
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)

Where does Apple manufacture their processors?

Who manufactures Nvidia GPUs?

So, is it a "coincidence" the "lack" of electronic chips for graphics cards from AMD and nVidia?

Reactions: Matt_ogu812

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
The new Apple notebook PCs have 3 Thunderbolt 4.0 ports and an HDMI port. I'm guessing the HDMI port is an adapter of the 4th Thunderbolt 4.0 port (Thunderbolt ports come in pairs).

I guess their are a lot of obsolete HDMI monitors and TVs around - enough to make changing a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port into an HDMI port. I guess you could buy an adapter to make the HDMI port into a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port (like if you have a video monitor with a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port).

I don't think it has to due with removing the need for the adapter. I think it has to due to it supporting the full HDMI 2.1 specification. Thunderbolt 4 maxes out at 40 Gbps while the full HDMI 2.1 spec requires 48 Gbps, thus no adapter for TB4 can do full HDMI 2.1.

Edit: Well turns out my reasoning for the port was not Apple's... The port is limited to HDMI 2.0b, so this move by Apple to add HDMI for no really good reason is a little weird, but shrug.

Last edited:

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

So, is it a "coincidence" the "lack" of electronic chips for graphics cards from AMD and nVidia?

Apple paid up for priority access to TMSCs best node, it's why a lot of TMSC chips are not just starting to ship on their 5nm node while Apple has been doing for a year already. So to answer your question, it's not coincidence, it's deep pockets and over reliance on a single manufacture.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

Not a coincidence. Not relevant either. TSMC only manufactures Nvidia's professional lines. Those have not experienced wide spread shortages because they aren't used for mining. Samsung manufactures Nvidia's gaming GPU's.

Apple's current chips are in the 5nM production line whereas AMD and Nvidia are still on 7nM. Also, Nvidia's consumer graphics cards are made on the Samsung 8nM factory because each wafer is cheaper though, yield and transistor density appear to be lower.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Apple: Buy our computers. They rock.
Apple: Buy our NEW Intel computers. They rock. The old stuff sucked.
Apple: Buy our NEW M1 computers. They rock. The old stuff sucked.

Suckers and their money... .
(Although I cannot deny that they've done a great job and that they are great).

P.s. " obsolete HDMI monitors " - Umm, they're pretty much ALL HDMI monitors in this building.

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017

The 'In Your Face' pitfalls of Sole Source Sourcing.
We can only hope that lessons are being learned from all of this.