News Apple's $159 Thunderbolt 4 Pro Cable is Braided and Three Meters Long

darrinps

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I'm sorry, but yes, $159 for a three meter cable is over priced like many (most) of Apple's products. You are just so conditioned to paying too much for Apple products that you try to rationalize their pricing structure.

Reactions: loveday.ben

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Love all the comments before from people who either don't have any use case scenario for a thunderbolt 4 cable in their daily jobs or even own a current Mac but are keyboard warrior "experts" on everything Trololololollll :ROFLMAO:💩

Reactions: dipique

dipique

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
I'm sorry, but yes, $159 for a three meter cable is over priced like many (most) of Apple's products. You are just so conditioned to paying too much for Apple products that you try to rationalize their pricing structure.

How dare apple charge a lot of money for a bleeding edge product that only they have been able to successfully produce.

Reactions: sundragon

dipique

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
I'm not up on the advantages of Thunderbolt .... How much faster is it than Ethernet ?

Standard Ethernet is 1gbps (with extremely expensive consumer variants reaching as high as 10gbps). TB4 is either 16gbps or 32gbps (2x and 4x pcie lanes respectively).

More importantly, TB4 uses PCI express lanes which have a tiny fraction of the latency of attaching via Ethernet. This makes it ideal for something like attaching displays or external GPUs where high bandwidth and low latency is critical.

Reactions: cyrusfox

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
This is all the USB-IF & TB groups fault for trying to sell the public on a "One Cable to Rule them all" standard.

The only issue with that is that their one cable is the most expensive, complicated, fastest cable to solve every little thing.

It's like giving everybody a Ultra Large Slurpy XXL as the solution or a 16-lane highway to solve all your traffic needs.

Whatever happened to the right tool, for the right job?

We need Small / Medium / Big size USB cables.

We already have them too!

USB 2.0 with Type-A/B ports needs a slight update to the specification to deliver true 60 MBps Full Duplex on a smaller connector.
Let's call it the new "Nano-A" port where it uses Type-C micro pin contacts to shrink the cabling down to a tiny Square Connector that is reversible.
This could be your "Small USB cable" where it's physical connector is smaller than a 3.5mm Headphone Cable and is a Reversible Square Connector.
Imagine all the new devices you can make that uses "Nano-A" and deliver a Full-Duplex 60 MBps and Power Delivery on a tiny Physical connector that is Reversible like Type-C.

Update USB 4.1 (Yes bring back the decimal sub revisions) to update SuperSpeed Type-A ports to have ONLY 1x SuperSpeed lane using the latest standard and speeds.
That would mean 20 Gbps Full Duplex or a Assymetric 40 Gbps single direction and 60 MBps other direction.
Update the smaller Connector form factor to a brand new "Mini-C" connector with only 10 contact pins, a smaller but elongated Reversable Isoceles Hexagonal shape, and you're good.
10 Pins/Wires is FAR cheaper to manufacture than the 24-pin monstrosity that is Type-C.
There are plenty of devices that only need Medium Speeds of 20/40 Gbps = 2.5-5 GBps.

Update USB 4.1 Type-C to allow more Alt Modes available by default to maximize bandwidth.
Imagine what you could do if you virtualized the USB 2.0 packets to be sent over the High Speed Lanes and reuse the USB 2.0 contacts/wires as a 3rd set of High Speed lanes.
That could mean 60 Gbps Full Duplex = 7.5 GBps Full Duplex

Sacrifice the SideBand and allow Assymetric Link for 120 Gbps one direction and 20 Gbps the other direction.
That's 15 GBps one direction and 2.5 GBps the other direction
Imagine what you can do with that kind of speeds.

If you Sacrifice Power Delivery and turn those into High-Speed lanes, you could get 160 Gbps Full Duplex with 20 Gbps Sideband
That's 20 GBps Full Duplex w/ 2.5 GBps Sideban
or
320 Gbps One Direction and 20 Gbps Other Direction.
40 GBps One Direction and 2.5 GBps Other Direction.
This kind of bandwidth would be GREAT as a root connection between the PC controller and a USB Type-C hub to allow more parallel concurrent connections without starving them of bandwidth.

Type-C is expensive, but it should be used properly for High Bandwidth devices that need it, not to replace every single thing under the sun with it's expensive design.

That's so many raw materials, resources, & financial manufacturing costs wasted on a "One-Size Fits All" Type-C paradigm.
We can do SOOO much more with a Right USB Cable for the Right type of Device strategy.

loveday.ben

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
Love all the comments before from people who either don't have any use case scenario for a thunderbolt 4 cable in their daily jobs or even own a current Mac but are keyboard warrior "experts" on everything Trololololollll :ROFLMAO:💩
Maybe because it’s ridiculously overpriced?

loveday.ben

Reputable
Jul 15, 2018
How dare apple charge a lot of money for a bleeding edge product that only they have been able to successfully produce.
This ain’t bleeding edge, and I highly doubt Apple produce them. They will be oem manufactured cables. Besides, they are overpriced because of the brand. I buy enterprise data cables for less than this lol.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Maybe because it’s ridiculously overpriced?
LOL right, that's why you can't find other companies that have actually produced the same length thunderbolt 4 cable built to the same spec.... Give the Chinese a few years and they will for 1/2 the price and there will be a 50% chance your laptop or what you attach will burn to a smolder but hey you save some money :ROFLMAO: TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL 💩

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This ain’t bleeding edge, and I highly doubt Apple produce them. They will be oem manufactured cables. Besides, they are overpriced because of the brand. I buy enterprise data cables for less than this lol.
Yup, that's why you can find them everywhere, lmao I love the experts talking like they have actually found an alternative to the same spec... Oh wait :LOL: You can't but yep, keyboard warrior expert. Don't worry, like I commented above the Chinese will copy the design and have one for half the price and 25-50% chance your laptop and gear will burn but you'll save some money (y)

dipique

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2013
Oh really. Please give me a link for your 3M TB4 cables. I'll wait.

Bought. Thanks. I like Cable Matters. I've bought several of their DisplayPort and Ethernet cables.

Follow-up question: Does anyone sell a thunderbolt 4 external SSD? I'm seeking a capacity of 2TB. Something like the Samsung T7 would be great, but instead of Type C 3.2 gen 2, I'm seeking Thunderbolt 4.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Follow-up question: Does anyone sell a thunderbolt 4 external SSD? I'm seeking a capacity of 2TB. Something like the Samsung T7 would be great, but instead of Type C 3.2 gen 2, I'm seeking Thunderbolt 4.
Search Thunderbolt M.2 enclosure and build your own, no one is creating a solution in that space, here is one for USB 4.0 - and here is an older one for TB3 (Which has the same max spec but the controller on it can only handle up to 2800MB/s)
Getting your own m.2 has the advantage of being modular (Put in up to 8tb if you so need) as well as enabling selecting flash of higher quality/endurance.

All the 2x m.2 enclosures I have seen require power, single ones are good for bus power alone.

Reactions: rcald2000