Apple's A4 Chipset Packs ARM CPU and Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]too many news posts on this apple stuff. More than half of the people here dont care much anymore for the iPad.[/citation]
Maybe you could try changing your perspective to realize that this is another HUGE step for ARM processor technologies.

Even if you find Apple-related processor technologies something completely outside the realm of your interests, the advancement and growing utilization of ARM products will affect parts of the tech industry that might interest you.

For example, the performance jump of the Intel Atom between Diamondville and Pine Trail isn't as big as what we normally expect. Perhaps it's the lack of competition in the mobile and netbook space that's allowing the Atom continue its existence without the type of advancement that we'd like to see.

With the growing use of ARM-based technologies in things like the iPad and Nvidia Tegra 2 (which will soon be in netbooks), Intel -- and hopefully AMD too -- will have a better reason to step things up in its next generation of chip technologies.

I bet that more than half of the people here care about that sort of stuff.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]You'd think El Jobso would have known what CPU the iNapkin uses .[/citation]
It seems Jobs assumes his customers are technologically inept. Though, there's little argument that the processor is a capable little chip. Too bad the (max)iPad doesn't use it to it's fullest potential.

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
why so much hate for the name iPad?
i think it's a great way to recognize the PADD in which most touch screen devices were all modeled.

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
why so much hate for the name iPad?
i think it's a great way to recognize the PADD in which most touch screen devices were all modeled.

G

The author clearly doesn't understand that "integrating" a main processing core with a graphics core and other system management functions is a non-trivial task.
It's not like buying RAM and cramming it into a DIMM slot.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I would be interested, but it is a BSN report... So equal parts sucking up to Nvidia/wishful thinking.
But accurate news rag? Very rarely!

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
First of all if you go read the article at the source then you will also read all the comments that go with it that pretty much sum this whole story up as a rumor mill/prediction piece.

They claim a MALI-50 GPU which is a step down from the PowerVR chip in the iPhone 3GS and makes that a pretty much no-brainer for incorrect info.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I also fail to see how Snapdragon is a Qualcomm chip, Z-whatever is a Creative/Zii chip and Tegra a Nvidia chip if the A4 is not a Apple chip. The same stuff is done by every one of those SoC's.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I also fail to see how Snapdragon is a Qualcomm chip, Z-whatever is a Creative/Zii chip and Tegra a Nvidia chip if the A4 is not a Apple chip. The same stuff is done by every one of those SoC's.[/citation]

Those are all SoC's, not CPU's. They are built around existing ARM processor designs. That is what the article is saying.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I find the iFlop hatred hilarious. Apple has ridden on their silver-tongued marketing for far too long. Finally, people are beginning to see the products as they are.

Maybe now people will come to their senses about the exorbitant prices.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Cute Soc but probably no enough power to play HD movie. You can probably play correctly movie up to 768p because the screen is actually 1024x768. If you consider 720p as HD­, this is lowres HD. But if you consider like me, blueray is real HD 1080p. This thing coudn't handle the real HD at 1080p (1920x1080!!!!). The fact is... they remove HDMI port...

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Well I'm now even more dissapointed. Here I was thinking that Apple actually designed a cpu for their own good...[/citation]

well... I guess you forgot it is teh Apple!

They don't invent things... they put things together in a nice little pretty package and sell it!

;)

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reporter is a complete idiot. Snapdragon uses a Cortex A8 processor, whereas Tegra 2 uses 2 Cortex A9 processors. The A8 is an in-order core, whereas the A9 is an out-of-order core. The difference is akin to the A8 and the Atom, except without the SSE and the fact that Atom uses 500% more power. Not only does the reporter not know what's in the Nexus One, but he compares it to the Droid saying how it's similar and completely disregarding the fact that the Droid has the same internals as the 3GS, but with a different manufacturer. The Snapdragon processor is a custom Cortex A8 design that is faster than the other A8s, but slower than the A9.

I still don't understand why nobody cares about Tegra 2, when is is extremely superior to other SoC designs. It has 2 A9s, from what the article says, the iPad has only 1, and MUCH better multimedia capabilities in terms of video. Did I mention there were 30+ tablet designs with Tegra 2 at CES last week?

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]someguyperson[/nom]Did I mention there were 30+ tablet designs with Tegra 2 at CES last week?[/citation]
haha...like the media cares what other manufactures are putting out.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I also fail to see how Snapdragon is a Qualcomm chip, Z-whatever is a Creative/Zii chip and Tegra a Nvidia chip if the A4 is not a Apple chip. The same stuff is done by every one of those SoC's.[/citation]
except that Nvidia actually designed and integrated much of the coprocessor architecture behind their tegra SOC's, most notably their GPU. If this article is to be believed then neither the main processor nor the GPU in the A4 was designed by Apple. At least in this regard, there is quite a difference between legitimately calling the A4 an Apple processor, and the Tegra an Nvidia SOC.

G

There is alot of hate and jealousy on this post. It is obvious that we won't be buying the iPad. But millions of consumers will. Great device and a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.