Apple's Got a Little More to Show You

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]That logo above looks like a giant ar$e crapping skywards. (pardon my French) LOL.[/citation]
You mean "giant magical ar$e that craps rainbows and fairy dust skywards. (pardon your French)"

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I will give them credit... the display on the Macbook Pro is very, very, nice. Would love it if a PC developer would even come close to that kind of quality in a screen. More apt to go with a 15" if I were to even consider buying a Macbook, but not a bad screen at all.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Nothing like almost $2000 for a laptop and how is the Mac outselling PCs by that much? Really 7x the amount of PCs? I find that one hard to believe and being a gamer on my PC, MAC is still not a viable option and probably never will be, especially not for 3x the price I built my gaming PC for :)

Otherwise, more of the same from Apple, wasnt a fan then and nothing they say will make me a fan now, no matter how much better they say they are doing over everyone else, oh and lets not forget that Samsung has sold 20 million Galaxy S3s, guess Apple forgot about that?

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]vidfreek[/nom]Nothing like almost $2000 for a laptop and how is the Mac outselling PCs by that much? Really 7x the amount of PCs? I find that one hard to believe and being a gamer on my PC, MAC is still not a viable option and probably never will be, especially not for 3x the price I built my gaming PC for Otherwise, more of the same from Apple, wasnt a fan then and nothing they say will make me a fan now, no matter how much better they say they are doing over everyone else, oh and lets not forget that Samsung has sold 20 million Galaxy S3s, guess Apple forgot about that?[/citation]

They aren't outselling PCs, however they are outgrowing PCs. It honestly is a little spin on something.

If they sell 200 macs and oems sell 500 PCs and only 10 macs exist while 1000 pcs exist the pc market grew by 50% while the Mac market grew by 200%.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Expect at least 50 Apple news here on Tom's over the next 24 hours.[/citation]

Tom's lets you unsubscribe from Apple content if you do not want to have to complain about it.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]vidfreek[/nom]how is the Mac outselling PCs by that much? Really 7x the amount of PCs? I find that one hard to believe[/citation]
It's a reference to the growth rate stated afterwards (15% Macs vs 2% PC). It's marketing BS really.
If you sold 1,000 Bananas last year, and 1,150 this year, you have 15% growth. Meanwhile, I sold 1 billion bananas last year and 1.02 billion this year for only 2% growth. Who's selling more?

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]vidfreek[/nom]oh and lets not forget that Samsung has sold 20 million Galaxy S3s, guess Apple forgot about that?[/citation]

The S3 came out way back in May. The iPhone 5 has been out 1 month and sold 5 million in the first week.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hai guyz! Lets take a Hybrid drive and separate the components then call it a Fusion drive instead and claim its revolutionary. The drones will eat it up!

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
$1700 for a computer in this day and age?! Did we just have a time warp back to the 1990's when a Dell computer would run you nearly $2K-$3K?

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
[citation][nom]stevelord[/nom]The S3 came out way back in May. The iPhone 5 has been out 1 month and sold 5 million in the first week.[/citation]

It came out overseas first I believe, but in the US it really didnt get rolling till almost the middle of July, thats a 2 month difference from "way back in May". Still ONE android devices has sold over 20 million units so far yet people cant shut up about the same phone selling 5 million more again. You do realize that those 5 million are probably people that already had an iPhone already right? I'd love to find out how many NEW iPhone 5s they are selling, not repeat apple fans who keep themselves blinded to everything else out there.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Well, to be fair, given that Mac has about 7% and Windows 92%, it is more like:
1000->1150 bananas vs 13143->13406 bananas

Not quite a billion vs a thousand. In the US is is 13% vs 86%, so that would look like:
1000->1150 bananas vs 6615->6748 bananas

But then consider
(1) Company value is heavily weighted by projected future profits, so 15% growth on a relatively small number means a lot next to 2% of a much bigger number.
(2) in the world-wide example, would you rather sell 150 extra machines with a ~$300 profit margin per or 273 at a profit margin of ~$50?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
boasting that Apple has sold it's 100 millionth iPad
LOL. I thought those were replacing PCs? 100m ipads to 1 billion PCs? They'll sell more PCs than this in a year! :lol:

Also chuckled at the Mac growing faster than the PC. Apart from the growth numbers having nothing to do with actual sales, i think it's funny that they say this now. Macs are simply PCs with Mac OS X in them. That's like calling a Linux PC a..."Linux" or something equally daft.

[citation][nom]sun-devil99[/nom]$1700 for a computer in this day and age?! Did we just have a time warp back to the 1990's when a Dell computer would run you nearly $2K-$3K?[/citation]
Dude. I know Apple's evil and all, but this just didn't make sense. A computer still costs that much, just there's no pentium II in it.
And Dell still charges that much (Alienware). More if you'd buy it, i bet.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
$329 for the iPad mini, No thank you, not that I was considering buying one. If I were, I would definitely go with the Nexus 7 or even consider the new Kindle HD before that. I don't think it will be very noticeable to the naked eye, but why only 1024x768. I think it would have been a better business plan if they had went with a $249 8GB model.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Macs are simply PCs with Mac OS X in them. That's like calling a Linux PC a..."Linux" or something equally daft."

Macs were called Macs long before they shared the same CPU architecture... I suppose we should just call Deep Blue a "big PC".

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]stevelord[/nom]The S3 came out way back in May. The iPhone 5 has been out 1 month and sold 5 million in the first week.[/citation]

FYI...by the end of it's first week of sales, the Galaxy S3 had sold 9 million units. As of September 6th, it has sold over 20 million units. So far, the S3 is outselling the iPhone 5 by a notable margin. Apple is quick to talk about breaking records, but notice they always qualify their statements - "The best selling iPhone ever", "breaking all iPhone sales records". This is because the iPhone is no longer the best selling smartphone.

As for this particular announcement...I want to know who at Apple decided that a 2560x1600 IPS panel would be sufficiently powered by Intel's integrated Ivy Bridge graphics. This is clearly a numbers game for Apple, since that beautiful display is going to be useless to anyone who needs it.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
LOL, Nexus 7 at $199 for 16gb and Apple feels they are so much better and have to charge $130 more for their equivalent? AND it has 4s and Ipad 2 tech in it? Only 1024x768 screen, Nexus 7 has a full 720p screen, everything is moving HD now and Apple finally does a 7" tablet and its already so far behind everyone else, guess they figure people will just buy it because its Apple because they obviously put no effort into the device. THAT is definitely the saddest news I've seen from them, plus the bogus comparisons with spin on it.

Yes they are right about "blown up" Android apps, but thats because the developers of the apps arent updating or creating a new one optimized for the tablet, Apple has tablet versions of their apps too, developers are just quicker in getting an iPad version out or updating the current app to support the iPad 3 specs, this isnt the fault of Android and the tablets. Needless to say this is why I'm starting to go Windows 8 this friday, all apps work on all Windows 8 enabled devices, no need for separate phone, tablet and computer apps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.