Apple's In-car Infotainment System is Only for iPhone Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

aisalem

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Your points doesn't really matter, it's only for Apple users. I guess it will be an option in the cars (like bluetooth some time ago or reverse camera). I wish them good luck as long as they won't start to sue everybody around for in-car satnav, etc.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had an iPhone since original, and I can gaurantee, I will NOT be getting this in one of my vehicles unless it's running on Google Maps. And even then, unless it's open to any phone, it's pointless. Every single, and I do mean ever single time I've used Apple Maps, it's given me bad information. I honestly think, I'm going to switch over to Windows Phone 8.1. Some of my family have the higher end Nokia phones with Win8 on them, and I honestly love them.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't mind if this is an option, provided that we have an option for Android devices. Problem is that the Apple solutions tend to be crap while the Android solutions are nonexistent. I had to buy a cheap iPod so I could control my music in my car from the dash. Hopefully Google's system will be a bit better

I have heard the same thing about Windows Phone 8.1. A former boss and friend had them and love them.

I think it is a mistake to limit it just to their phones. Not everyone who buys a car with it will only have a iPhone.

Then again that is Apple. If they can't control the hardware/software they don't allow it.

My wife has a 2013 Taurus Limited with Sync and it is pretty nice so far.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
How much longer before you can't take your vehicle to a mechanic anymore? You've got a problem with the in dash computer? Oh, I'm sorry you need to take it to the (whatever) store to get that fixed. Make it Bluetooth connected and leave it at that. Hopefully you have the option of not including it. Imagine selling this vehicle 5, 10, or 15 years from now when they kill support for it. Oh, we're sorry but we released the 2S version and your version is now a brick. That will be $3,000 to make it work again.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Again Apple attempts to rip somethings that's been around for years, and call it there own. Been doing this since 2002. And currently run Riderunner in my pickup. A whole site is dedicated to this, even for Android devices. MP3CAR if your interested. Hopefully it won't take off because then they will shut sites like this down.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Again Apple attempts to rip somethings that's been around for years, and call it there own. Been doing this since 2002. And currently run Riderunner in my pickup. A whole site is dedicated to this, even for Android devices. MP3CAR if your interested. Hopefully it won't take off because then they will shut sites like this down.
What do you mean call their own? All they want to do is bring iOS funcationality to car entertainment, is that so hard to do without some Android fanboy or ant Apple fanboy comming out of the shadows and smiting them with "ripping other people" claims?

jamsbong

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
1. Siri is crap.2. Apple maps are even worse and very dangerous.3. Yet another overpriced POS from apple.
Update info.1. Siri has improved considerably and it does work these days. Google Voice is not any better.2. Apple maps are more accurate than Google ones based on personal experience from using both of them (on Nexus4 and iPhone 5s).Apple's time of arrival is accurate and updates based on the current situation; Google Map does not.I get more search hits and connection to Yelp with apple maps. Google map on gives what it has and usually is less than Apple ones.The GUI on Apple maps is easier to read because fonts are bigger.3. I would argue that Apple products are rightly priced because you're getting more for your money. The outstanding quality software and support is what kept users coming back to Apple products. Moreover, you'll get fantastic resale value out of it so it is not expensive at all if you consider the whole life-cycle usage of the product.I'm not here to change anyone's opinions. I'm just describing by personal experience after using Nexus4 and iphone 5s.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Change the company to Microsoft and the OS to Windows in this announcement. Can you imagine the uproar? "What businesses do they have FORCING car buyers to use a Windows phone? Monopolistic [language edited by moderator]!"

Microsoft already has a system in place with Ford/Lincoln called Sync. They might change it to a Windows based kernel at some time but as of right now it is compatible with iOS/Android/Windows Phone/BB. Pretty much as long as it supports BT it will work with Sync and it was one of the first hands free like this and works very well.

On the other hand, this is Apple being more monopolistic as they want you to use only their products. That's fine and dandy but still annoying.

niems

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Pretty sure this will be an optional extra in the vehicle so I don't get why everyone is having a winge.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
"What's interesting is that Apple doesn't seem to be leveraging CarPlay as a way to grow its iPhone user base. Instead, the company is catering exclusively to iPhone users."Apple IS leveraging CarPlay to grow its user base. No iPhone, CarPlay no function.

niems

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I think they mean that if you have the phone, then you can use CarPlay (which as I see it is just an extended touch screen for the iPhone). My guess is that when a phone is not connected, the screen displays the manufacturer's OEM infotainment. It appears to be acting as an extension of how plugging a phone via USB gives access to contacts and music via steering wheel and infotainment controls; CarPlay just seems to be a way to 'make your car an iPhone accessory'. I could further speculate that the manufacturer could offer a system which can switch between OEM, CarPlay, and future Android based systems on-the-fly.

It would be silly if either 1) you have absolutely no infotainment in the car if an iPhone is not present, or 2) that the manufacturer doesn't offer an OEM system if the first point is actually true (but like most car accessories, these are usually optional extras).

So, if Apple WERE leveraging CarPlay to grow its iPhone user base, I would suspect they would either enforce 1) or 2), which would be absolutely absurd.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
So, I have an iPhone now (I don't but just go with it). I buy a car with Apple's car play option. Everything is good. 2 years later, my phone contract is up and I want to switch to Android, because Apple has stagnated and all the innovation is in Android. Well, I keep my car longer than my cell phone, so I'm basically forced to get another Apple phone. Repeat again 2 years later. A car with this feature basically ensures Apple of repeat customers... even those who don't want to.

I don't care who makes it. I would not want some tech gadget integrated into my car whose functions will become useless beyond an MP3 player in three to five years. Unless all the auto manufacturers agreed upon a standardized form factor and interface. That would always remain static. So that I could replace it easily when it became obsolete. With a device from any competing manufacturer.

niems

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

No, I think you'll just switch over to the OEM infotainment. CarPlay is just an accessory for an iPhone. If you have an iPhone, you can use the accessory; if not, then just use the standard system. CarPlay is not a stand-alone infotainment system. Don't quote me, but it would be useless if the in-car screen couldn't fall back to OEM infotainment if there is no phone present. Yet to be seen or sourced I guess...

PS. mega plus points for dropping to childish fandom form in an otherwise decent response.

SamQ

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Just what we need ... more distractions while hurtling down the thoroughfare at 80 MPH in a 4,000 pound steel weapon of mass destruction with newbies at the wheel. I say take out the air bags and let Mother Nature do her job of cleansing the gene pool.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I hope this is not going to be the only system in these cars. I have a Ford with Sync and it works great so far. If they replaced that with this apple crap then I would not be able to use any of this crap and I would not be able to use any of those cars listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.