Apple's iPad 2 Review: Tom's Goes Down The Tablet Rabbit Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
We'll get to the others soon enough, but it's difficult to talk about other tablets without talking about Apple products.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

Tijok

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
[citation][nom]gidgiddonihah[/nom]Here is the article where all the Apple fanboys start to tear up .[/citation]

Fixed it for you. ;)

G

Disagree.
Like most computer guys like myself, adding an ipad won't make us to pack our PC/Mac to our closet. But again, mistakes like Microsoft or Linux, the "most computer guys on earth" are actually just a small group in total.
For example:
i've been teaching my 80 years old grandma to use pc to download, install and play simple games for years, no success. then she learned how to find/download/install/play many games after few days playing with my ipad.
my 5 years nephew reads/plays/watch cartoons all on ipad now, she didn't turn on her pc for weeks.
For myself, i uninstalled all my online video, movie client applications from my laptop, as I found watching these on ipad is much comfortable.

Yes I still do my works on my pc, mostly in my office. At home, now the only thing force me to turn on my pc is to play world of warcraft
I mean, who says ipad can't replace anything?

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]joeylu[/nom]Disagree.Like most computer guys like myself, adding an ipad won't make us to pack our PC/Mac to our closet. But again, mistakes like Microsoft or Linux, the "most computer guys on earth" are actually just a small group in total.For example:i've been teaching my 80 years old grandma to use pc to download, install and play simple games for years, no success. then she learned how to find/download/install/play many games after few days playing with my ipad.my 5 years nephew reads/plays/watch cartoons all on ipad now, she didn't turn on her pc for weeks.For myself, i uninstalled all my online video, movie client applications from my laptop, as I found watching these on ipad is much comfortable. Yes I still do my works on my pc, mostly in my office. At home, now the only thing force me to turn on my pc is to play world of warcraftI mean, who says ipad can't replace anything?[/citation]

I'd actually argue that in your case you're not replacing a PC, you're augmenting it. Granted, there will be others like your nephew and grandmother who can use an iPad as their primary device.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
May I simply say, "thank you" to Toms for writing a well thought out objective, honest and practical review of thr iPad2. Instead of getting carried away you've hit the nail on the head.

P.s. I use an Acer W500 and I still struggle to justify why i have it.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
In my opinion, the tablet is a fad that will go away when everyone finds out they are very cool looking toys that really don't add anything to what you can do.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I think they'll make their permanent mark on the smart phone and laptop scenes, the devices that really fit into people's lives - but the tablet is too limited and too clumsy in actual use.

Certainly, they have their niche uses - as book readers, like the Kindle, for example, but as something that will actually replace anything, I think not. Lots of coolz, little practicality.

;)

VVV850

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
What about light bleeding? I mean, the number of Ipads 2 that have this issue is staggering and has to be included in a review

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]In my opinion, the tablet is a fad that will go away when everyone finds out they are very cool looking toys that really don't add anything to what you can do_Oh, don't get me wrong; I think they'll make their permanent mark on the smart phone and laptop scenes, the devices that really fit into people's lives - but the tablet is too limited and too clumsy in actual use.Certainly, they have their niche uses - as book readers, like the Kindle, for example, but as something that will actually replace anything, I think not. Lots of coolz, little practicality.[/citation]
They don't "add anything to what you can do", but they do certain things much better than other devices.

Reading this article on my iPad while sitting on a sofa was certainly much more comfortable than reading it on my desktop or laptop.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]They don't "add anything to what you can do", but they do certain things much better than other devices.Reading this article on my iPad while sitting on a sofa was certainly much more comfortable than reading it on my desktop or laptop.[/citation]

You need a more comfortable computer chair. =)

altoidman85

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]They don't "add anything to what you can do", but they do certain things much better than other devices.Reading this article on my iPad while sitting on a sofa was certainly much more comfortable than reading it on my desktop or laptop.[/citation]

You should have taken the money you spent on your ipad and bought a more comfortable desk and chair for your desktop. Then a few cases of beer.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Spot on. Even Microsoft recognized that Windows Mobile applications had to be compatible with the full versions. Unfortunately there just wasn't the hardware to make it run....well....
Oh, and using a stylus to type sucks.

G

I only justify having a tablet for my girlfriend, who's work place (Hospital ER) will not allow laptop use during her down time, to browse or chat w/ me. But they do allow them to read books, or e-readers, so she has a nook color running Cyanogenmod7, so i guess the onl ytime a tablet is useful to us is when a laptop strictly isnt allowed.

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I still think tablets are a complete waste. $500 for the low end iPad2 could get a very nice netbook that does has 10x the functionality, especially when you look at swivel touch screen models.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"...That’s the limitation of a tablet; it’s really more about passing time."

Great article Andy. Also, I couldn't agree more with the statement above. I played with an iPad once...that was the last time.

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
The iPad is a great device to waste your time looking at pictures, tweeting, updating your facebook page - if you really need a device to use for something you will end up returning your iPad - (unless you needed a toy of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.