Apple's iPhone 5S to Start at £549 in United Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Glad we now know the UK pricing - now I'm taking a flight to the UK to go buy me one. Wonder how much it will sell for in Somalia, maybe flying over there would be cheaper. I'm also wondering about the price for the 5C in North Korea - perhaps buying it over there would be a much better option.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Isn't a 549 GBP like $850? Why is it so much more expensive in the UK than the US? The US non-contract version is $649, that's a difference of $200 or the price of most new subsidized phones!

Marco Washa

Honorable
May 26, 2013
There's some problems in apple. Are they kidding us with 5c?
A plastic, one year old smartphone at that price isn't "more then decent for his category", is a theft.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... the 5C seems to be "really cheap"... I have to check my "English - iLanguage" book... I am not sure if I understand that that cheap word mean in this case.

It allso means that 5C is guite expensive, from my very narrow point of view, allso in USA...
£90 difference, for much worse specks than 5S, yeap real bargain, have to be...

kevinhoque

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
*Sigh*

The UK price includes VAT @ 20%. The US price is the price before tax. This is the case with all price comparisons between the UK and the US.

So the UK price before VAT is added is around £457, which at 1.5 dollars to the pound is around $685. This is about 6% more than our US cousins. Hardly a massive difference.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
also should note that most international businesses dont sell their stuff at equal price across countries. its more like a percentage of the median salary. what people from each country seem to be able and willing to pay for the product. the reason in USA its cheaper in UK conversion terms is mostly because the people in USA generally make less money.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Isn't a 549 GBP like $850? Why is it so much more expensive in the UK than the US? The US non-contract version is $649, that's a difference of $200 or the price of most new subsidized phones!

Status
Not open for further replies.