News Apple's M1 MacBooks Are Stronger Than Intel MacBooks, Even When Emulated

Giroro

Splendid
Maybe we shouldn't take Apple's word for it.
Maybe we should let the computer actually release. Then, give the software devs 6-8 months to decide whether or not they feel like porting their benchmarks over to ARM, and whether or not it is even valid to compare results between two drastically different architectures. Reposts of random marketing "leaks" don't mean much until people can validate that the software is even working properly.

Even if it were the highest performing and most efficient laptop in the world, anybody who uses their laptop for more than Safari and word processing probably shouldn't buy one. Similarly they probably shouldn't buy a chromebook: lack of software. That's the weird postition Apple unwisely put themselves into. Anything that needs real horsepower is too specialized for developers to waste time optimizing a native app for a fraction of a fraction of Apple's tiny market share.

Reactions: Chrys

roxton

Honorable
May 20, 2015
Last several posts I've seen about Apple's M1 have loud, misleading titles that tend to build strongly positive opinions about the product:

Apple's New M1 Processor Demolishes the 2019 iMac with 8th Gen Core i5 6-core CPU - only one app tested, specific model of the rival intel processor is not given, details about how the application function (e.g. how heavy its reliance on the graphics subsystem, if it is optimized for the architectures in both cases, if it leverages hardware acceleration in both cases, etc.) are not given.

Apple's M1 SoC Shreds GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in New Graphics Benchmark - the title makes readers think that this is a great achievement to beat an entry-level 4 years old graphics card. Reading the article past the title reveals that again there is little information about the competing systems and also that "GFXBench 5.0 isn't exactly the best tool for testing graphics cards"

Reactions: Joseph_138

joneskind

Prominent
Nov 16, 2020
Apple's New M1 Processor Demolishes the 2019 iMac with 8th Gen Core i5 6-core CPU - only one app tested, specific model of the rival intel processor is not given, details about how the application function (e.g. how heavy its reliance on the graphics subsystem, if it is optimized for the architectures in both cases, if it leverages hardware acceleration in both cases, etc.) are not given.

About the software : Affinity Photo is a few years old software that appeared first on Macs then on Windows. It is seen as a very good alternative to Photoshop for instance. They have Affinity Designer (Illustrator) and Affinity Publisher (InDesign).

They also have iOS versions of their software so it is safe to say that the software has been well optimized for x86 and Apple Silicon, and it offers to me (as a user of their software) a pretty solid impression of what Apple Silicon is capable of.

It has been tested on a 2019 iMac with hexa core i5 and an optional RX580 so I guess its a 3.0 GHz hex-core (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz) (8500 "Coffee Lake") Intel Core i5 9 MB shared L3 cache, according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based))

Apple's M1 SoC Shreds GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in New Graphics Benchmark - the title makes readers think that this is a great achievement to beat an entry-level 4 years old graphics card. Reading the article past the title reveals that again there is little information about the competing systems and also that "GFXBench 5.0 isn't exactly the best tool for testing graphics cards"

I won't argue with the fact that GFXBench 5.0 may not be the best tool here. I will wait a little more though to cheer on the fact that the M1 is a 10W TDP laptop CPU, while the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 75W TDP desktop graphic card.

Nov 16, 2020
I don't believe this is the M1, that looks to me like the Mac Mini dev kit or at least the A12Z CPU in some form. Are we even checking sources here or just printing stuff that will get clicks?

Nov 16, 2020
Ok well they deleted the article I had replied to saying the M1 chip was getting demolished by 3600x

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Last several posts I've seen about Apple's M1 have loud, misleading titles that tend to build strongly positive opinions about the product:

Exactly, this. Beating a 2-3 year old CPU, that isn't even a top of the range CPU, and a 4 year old, low end video card are not feats to boast about. A chip released in 2020-2021 has to compete against current tech, not old tech.

Even if you look at the benches against the Core i9 10900, those results will soon be invalidated when Intel releases their 11th generation desktop processors. I'd like to see how the M1 performs against the new Ryzen 9 and RX6800 XT. If it beats that, then they will have something to brag about.

Last edited: