News Apple's M1 MacBooks Are Stronger Than Intel MacBooks, Even When Emulated

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
There's a 1716 Geekbench single core score from a Tiger Lake 1165G7 Dell 9130 running Linux.

Nice clickbait article though.

The article is no clickbait, considering that's the score of an emulated, first generation Apple laptop silicon, so that's pretty amazing.

If it can also beat it with power and heat, Intel is in real trouble in the mobile space, though not anywhere else. They already lost the console wars and mobile phone markets.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The article is no clickbait, considering that's the score of an emulated, first generation Apple laptop silicon, so that's pretty amazing.

If it can also beat it with power and heat, Intel is in real trouble in the mobile space, though not anywhere else. They already lost the console wars and mobile phone markets.

It didn't beat Tiger Lake in Cinebench single thread - it lost to be blunt - andTiger's multi-thread is within spitting distance of M1 - not impressive given M1 is a 4+4 (fast+slow) core vs Tiger's 4C. Tom's compared it to 10th gen parts and zen 2. That's why it's clickbait. All the new cores (Tiger Lake, Zen 3) are much faster in terms of single thread performance.

The only place M1 breaks new ground is in performance/watt. But that has to translate into real gains a user can see and feel. In this case, it's probably battery life, but TGL was already hitting 11-13+ hours on Tom's tests of the XPS 9310.

This is the best x86 has to offer in a similar space to M1, and M1 isn't really blowing it away or anything :

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-9310

CAlbertson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013
It didn't beat Tiger Lake in Cinebench single thread - it lost to be blunt - andTiger's multi-thread is within spitting distance of M1 - not impressive given M1 is a 4+4 (fast+slow) core vs Tiger's 4C. Tom's compared it to 10th gen parts and zen 2. That's why it's clickbait. All the new cores (Tiger Lake, Zen 3) are much faster in terms of single thread performance.

The only place M1 breaks new ground is in performance/watt. But that has to translate into real gains a user can see and feel. In this case, it's probably battery life, but TGL was already hitting 11-13+ hours on Tom's tests of the XPS 9310.

This is the best x86 has to offer in a similar space to M1, and M1 isn't really blowing it away or anything :

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-9310

This "M1" is the absolute low-end of the line. They are putting it inside a Macbook "Air" which is Apple's entry level machine. We should be comparing the M1 to an Intel i3. It is not very fair to say "Apple's lowest-end notebook is not super fast." So what?

Today Apple sells a Mac Pro with a 28-core Xeon processor inside. Apple promises to replace this with something much better within two years. THIS will be the one to watch. Will they use 200+ ARM cores or will they build faster cores or do both?

Being faster than an i3 and running with no fan is nice but not really impressive as the i3 is a low bar. being faster than a 28-core Xeon will be impressive. But we will have to wait.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
This "M1" is the absolute low-end of the line. They are putting it inside a Macbook "Air" which is Apple's entry level machine. We should be comparing the M1 to an Intel i3. It is not very fair to say "Apple's lowest-end notebook is not super fast." So what?

Today Apple sells a Mac Pro with a 28-core Xeon processor inside. Apple promises to replace this with something much better within two years. THIS will be the one to watch. Will they use 200+ ARM cores or will they build faster cores or do both?

Being faster than an i3 and running with no fan is nice but not really impressive as the i3 is a low bar. being faster than a 28-core Xeon will be impressive. But we will have to wait.

I understand where you're trying to come from, but Tiger Lake is the "U" line. The U line is specifically for thin and light laptops, spec'd either for 15W or 28W. In point of fact, Tiger Lakes's predecessor "Ice Lake" was used in the MacBook Air 2020. So Tiger Lake was never meant to be a powerful chip either.

There's the "H" series Tiger Lake that is coming in Q1. Those are the 35 / 45W laptop chips for bulkier gaming rigs, and they're expected to have a 6 core variant. I expect Apple will have the performance / watt crown for some time though, since they have the very best node on the planet for their products (5nm). Even AMD is not expected to have much access to that until Q4 2021.

TRENDING THREADS