Apple's New iOS Privacy Features: File System Native Encryption, Differential Privacy, On-Device Deep Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Kind of makes me wish I could go back in time to stop myself from joining certain websites, signing up for things online, etc.. When the internet was "new" and I was young I didn't imagine it would be this intimate. I'm not putting on a foil hat, but damn. I feel like Cortana, Alexa, Facebook, and Google can tell us things about ourselves that we don't even remember, or want to remember, or even tell our "real" friends.

jordanl17

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I have 74,000 photos.. mostly all are on photos.google.com. how does apple plan on scanning the faces locally, if all my photos are in the cloud? learn local then send that learned data to the cloud? might as well scan on the cloud? Apple, your iOS is great, best mobile OS. BUT soon people will need more power than what a phone can provide. Calm the F down about privacy, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
It sounds like Apple might get privacy right if it does the Deep Learning on the device and sends an anonymous summary to the cloud to be data mined. They should also do a type of encryption where files in a particular location (folder) are easily accessed without passwords on the device, but are heavily encrypted if they are transferred off the device. I need to know that pictures of my "junk" won't fall into the wrong hands.

jordanl17

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Deep learning will require CPU/battery. That is the issue.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Privacy issues are like gaming GPU's. Give it a few years and they're out of date. I think its great that Apple is spearheading this, but only fools will believe its nothing more than a band-aid for a sinking titanic(re:eek:ur privacy). For every encryption there's a way to crack. For 'noise' we've already spent decades researching tech to re-sample/recover data.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
'Deep Learning'=The new tech catch phrase of 2016. Cool stuff but its already spreading is so many different directions there's no way that Apple or any one global corp can counter it entirely for security purposes. The very nature is that you can use it for attacks not just defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.