Apple's New iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 Pack iPhone 5s' A7 Chip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Really? 400$ for the mini? That is robbery plain and simple.
Get a nexus tablet for 250$ and save your money!
If you can get a Nexus tablet or phone, they are almost always the best value, as Google sells them at cost. Which is why they are often sold out, or not available at that lower price.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
For the price you can buy a Win 8.1 Tablet with Temash. There really is not comparison on a performance level considering the small gains Apple makes in its processor.

god537

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I think the new mini is great, with Retina display and A7 processor, though it costs RMB 2888 in China...

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
The Samsung Galaxy blows the mini away, pretty sad Apple thinks they have cutting edge tech. Don't even get me started on the crappy Pro, it's about 1200$ in parts... I even had some newbs try telling me they'll put the 2700$ xeon in it... I thought it was cute they think they're special enough to get a 2700$ cpu in a 3000$ machine.. LOL and the best firepro out right now is slower than a 7950.. :)

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Just got myself the Surface Pro 2, I know it's in a category above the ipad, but I'm hoping for the future of the Surface (rt). Though I'm still not sold completely on anything that's non-x86.. I was impressed with the Galaxy stats vs the ipad tho

Kostas Kritsilas

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
house70:

You are completely correct. Apple doesn't innovate at all. I mean, it's not like they develop/design their own CPUs or anything, right? There are tons of 64 bit APUs available off the shelf. Innovation has nothing to do with things like that, it has to do with the size of the screen. The rest is irrelevant. Who needs a smooth, rock solid (at least in iOS 6, not so much in iOS 7) OS, when you can have a nice OS that has been bastardized six ways to Sunday (except for the Nexus line).

Kostas

Got the Nexus 2013, no issues here. Of course, some devices will have flaws, but there is nothing systemically going on (like the accelerometer problems on iphone 5S, for instance). If you want it, go for it. I have the 32GB LTE model and loving every minute with it.
Compared to Apple's prices, it's a steal, considering the more advanced Android OS and the overall quality of the hardware.

My bad. How could I ignore the completely useless (for now) 64 bit CPU in there. I was just blindsided by all the side-by-side comparisons available out there, all showing that Nexus 7 has the mini iPad beat at almost all categories. It won't happen again. Probably the fact that iOS 7 was the least desired (without any way to reverse it, either) update in that "solid" OS you mentioned ( I can't recall any other mobile OS updates that had so many users wish they never updates it in the first place - there are plenty of forums that decry that) had me confused or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.