Apple's New iPad Air and iPad Mini 2 Pack iPhone 5s' A7 Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Not sure about the first post, but I think the price is too high. $300 for the old iPad Mini??? What a joke. I am surprised they gave the mini the new processor, I expected them to shove in the A6 (or some flavor of) and stick a plastic cover on it, with colors, to help their margins. I am really confused about comparing to the iPad 2, does that mean the second one released or the one that was just replaced?

Geddoff Myazz

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Apple's newest 7 inch tablet for just over the price of TWO of Google's or Amazon's. Ditto for the last year's models except Amazon and Google are too proud to put much (or any) effort into those.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hm, but the A7 doubled the GPU performance of the A6, not A6X, yet in this keynote they said double the iPad 4/A6X. I wonder if they just meant the few specific tests that's true in, or if it's clocked higher than the iPhone version?

Given how many more pixels it has to push in the iPads, it would actually perform far worse at native than the 5S if the performance is the same.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

It's 7.9 inch so it's half way between the Kindle 7 and 8.9. Better internals. No "special offers" ie targeted ads being pushed to your tablet. It may be a little pricey but it's not that bad. I was surprised it got the retina and A7. At $330 it would have been a steal and that's not apples style.

They copied the asymmetrical bezel from Nexus 7.
Still doesn't hold a candle to the Nexus.
Way to go, Apple. When you can't litigate, imitate (forget about innovate, that one has sailed long time ago).

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I keep seeing Kindle Fire detractors mentioning the "special offers" as though they were somehow different than what you see on every webpage to which you surf.

I have been using my Kindle Fire for quite some time now and yes, it's start-up page--instead of being some pretty picture of my own choice--is a full-page advertisement . . . Oh, the humanity . . . I don't even read it, I just swipe once and away I go.

Oh yeah, and when I am looking at my list of books or apps, at the very bottom of the page is a single row carousel of similar books, movies, apps, or songs to those I am choosing from.

The ads, for this user are pretty much unnoticeable.

This new iPad is a very nice piece of kit . . . pretty much the same as the Kindle Fire HDX with lower resolution . . .

Apps are where Apple has it all over it's competitors and then it's relevant only if you use those apps.

I have thought long and hard about the iPad, but I just can't justify paying more for it than a Kindle Fire. I can get equal productivity from either.

game junky

Distinguished
I think this was a good call - it gives current ipad users a thinner/lighter form factor to make it even easier to use on the go without sacrificing performance, it gives ipad mini users the option to upgrade for a high res display and better processor, and it gives people an inexpensive option at both size classes by continuing to offer the previous generation models. I personally don't have a need for a tablet because I have a Surface Pro from work but if I didn't, the iPad Air would be on my splurge list. Kinda expected them to add another device like an iPad Color using the old internal hardware from the iPad Mini but putting it in a plastic chassis a la the iPhone 5C but if they're going to keep manufacturing the old device or if they have a large enough supply to keep offering the original iPad Mini it wasn't really necessary.

Nothing earthshaking but I think they're both good devices

game junky

Distinguished
I think this was a good call - it gives current ipad users a thinner/lighter form factor to make it even easier to use on the go without sacrificing performance, it gives ipad mini users the option to upgrade for a high res display and better processor, and it gives people an inexpensive option at both size classes by continuing to offer the previous generation models. I personally don't have a need for a tablet because I have a Surface Pro from work but if I didn't, the iPad Air would be on my splurge list. Kinda expected them to add another device like an iPad Color using the old internal hardware from the iPad Mini but putting it in a plastic chassis a la the iPhone 5C but if they're going to keep manufacturing the old device or if they have a large enough supply to keep offering the original iPad Mini it wasn't really necessary.

Nothing earthshaking but I think they're both good devices

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Nobody else realise that the thickness difference between the iPad 4 (8.6mm) and iPad Air (7.5mm) is far from 20%, its pretty much 13%. Still impressive but not close to 20%

the new mini is actually heavier (they did not mention it though as it is negative) and i think a bit 'fatter', cannot remember, but in terms of dimensions and weight, it is worst than the first mini.
yep, now the retina in the mini is a feature, it should have been there in the first mini.

as soon as they fix the issues with nexus 7, ill be getting that. this mini is priced too high

Status
Not open for further replies.