News Apple's New MacBook Pros Use M1 Pro, Max and Have More Ports

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
What would be cool is if you could buy an adapter for the MagSafe port that made it into a Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C port.
Then you could use any Thunderbolt 4.0 charger.

I like MagSafe. In fact, I would perfectly OK with all of the Thunderbolt 4.0 USB-C ports being MagSafe ports with adapters to USB-C.

I was just thinking about this.
It would be nice if some kind of MagSafe port became the universal port replacing all USB ports and all other ports (ethernet, charger, etc). Even 120v wall outlet plugs - literally, every imaginable external data and/or electrical connecting port.
I'm thinking standardizing all charging ports to MagSafe would be great - both ends of the cable - every lamp, printer, camera, refrigerator, washer/dryer...

Last edited:

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I don't see a notch, I see a big middle finger pointed at all their customers and third party develops. That's not their screen space. It belongs to whatever app is running on the system. You can't get away with the same stupidity on a PC that you can get away with on a closed-system phone. I just can't believe their egotism right now.

SiliconMage

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
I had thought that way myself, but the alternative is cutting off the top quarter inch of the display and shrinking it to get rid of the notch.
Seems that the solution they came up with is ok, by spreading some menu stuff across both sides.

If this was truly for professionals, it should still come with a standard USB-A port so people can insert a standard USB thumb drive or hard drive to transfer files to each other. It looks silly dangling a usb drive off an adapter.

If this was truly for professionals, it should still come with a standard USB-A port so people can insert a standard USB thumb drive or hard drive to transfer files to each other. It looks silly dangling a usb drive off an adapter.

I suppose Apple has a case to be made at this point that a lot of professional equipment has switched over to USB-C, unlike when Apple first unveiled the all USB-C port design. Still, with all the ports they did put in it does seem silly to omit the USB-A.

I agree that the notch seems rather silly. I get it was to add more screen space but especially on a device of laptop size, you'd think we could find some other alternative. I'm just curious as to how fullscreen stuff will work.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
You can't get away with the same stupidity on a PC that you can get away with on a closed-system phone.

I think Apple could get away with anything it wanted. I've met many Apple customers.

That, and this separation of a Macintosh from a closed-system is probably unwarranted. If Apple don't want you doing it, you ain't doing it. It's usually called a "walled garden" which is not a synonym for an open system.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I don't own any USB-A port flash drives.
I only own USB-C flash drives.

TRENDING THREADS