Apple's New Mouse is Magic, Has Multitouch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
How would you play a game with this? I know for a fact this will not play Crysis...

It obviously wasnt designed for games... or work. You need a real mouse for both.

Its obviously for people who know about computers as much as mice.. or penguins. Only good reason why would anyone get a Mac.

However, unlike a Mac, this mouse could actually be useful for them.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Lastly, the new mouse has very thick glide feet--much thicker and longer lasting than many, if not all other mice on the market.

Wow, Apple actually making something thicker than normal? Has hell frozen over? I thought there big (or should I say little?) was making everything slightly thinner than all of the other products so that they could appeal to those who love fashion more than functionality or structural stability.

[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]I can't see these being part of the PC universe. I play games, so a multi-button mouse is a must. As for people like fingering their computer there's an app for that...[/citation]

Microsoft already announced something like this but with multiple designs. Mainly for every day users.

I doubt any gaming mouse will change from its normal.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Although I haven't received my Magic Mouse (delivery was help up by an Apple Remote on the same order and I wasn't at home for it to be delivered today), I did have the opportunity to play around with a Magic Mouse in an Apple store last week.

To be honest, I was very disappointed. The mouse works pretty well on the whole. It has the same right click method that the Mighty Mouse has which means you can't do both a left and right click at the same time. That was to be expected. Scrolling up and down seems to work very well.

However, my big gripe with the mouse is that they've left so much of the potential unrealised. Its basically just a smooth mouse with an invisible scroll wheel. It could have been so much more. I was expecting them to utilise the multi touch surface in a similar way as on their laptops. I.e. pinch to zoom and pinch and rotate to rotate. There's absolutely no hardware reason why they couldn't have added this and I am truly baffled as to why they didn't.

So all in all, right now it really is nothing special. Better than the Mighty Mouse by a long shot (due to the lack of the easy-to-fail ball) but it offers no real advantages over a Microsoft or Logitech mouse. They killer feature should have been the multitouch surface but they left it largely unused.

Hopefully they'll remedy this with a simple software update to recognise different gestures but as it stands, the Magic Mouse is a serious let down.

G

Just tried it the other day. Boy does it feel terrible. I'm sorry, but I have been a mac user for almost 20 years now, and I have to say they are making uncomfortable input devices lately. When I use my mac, I have a plain old logitech mouse with a scroll wheel. You just cannot beat the feadback of real scroll and buttons.

A slick idea would be to make it active feedback. for example make the wheel tighten up when you get to the end of the document etc...

The only non traditional mouse I actually liked from apple was the hockey puck. go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.