Apple's New Super Thin iMacs Officially on Sale Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
what is apple obsession with thinness?
weak internal mobile components in these are acceptable?
it's 2012 and OSX doesn't support it? what are you going to do with all of their "retina" laptops and desktop? watching 1080p trailers over and over again?

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@eternalkp Most windows based PCs are made of plastic and your complaining the aluminum and glass is too thin.. Seriously?

@j2j663.. You really still use blue-ray in 2012... In a month it's going to be 2013.. Most of us use hard disks now.. It's not 1995 anymore! I don't even put a DVD/blue-ray Drive in my windows PC why would you?, windows 8 boots off of a flash drive.

@Lampora... Prove it!

You are telling me I can get an all in one computer with a 27in IPS made with a casing of metal & glass not plastic, with an i5/i7 on board and a mobile graphics chip almost as fast as the desktop 680 or even the 670 if you get the built in version.

@coolcash You can get an external.. No need to tape it.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]You are telling me I can get an all in one computer with a 27in IPS made with a casing of metal & glass not plastic, with an i5/i7 on board and a mobile graphics chip almost as fast as the desktop 680 or even the 670 if you get the built in version.[/citation]
A Core i5/2.7GHz/GeForce GT 640M/8GB can be had for about $400, $100 for OS, and 21.5" IPS LCD for $150. The fancy case and Apple logo cost another $649 = $1299. Did you think that would be hard?

distortion

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
i7-3770k, Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h, EVGA GTX 680, Antec P280 case, 180gb Intel 330 SSD, 32gb cl10 Gskill pc1866 RAM, Seasonic M12II 620W power supply. All for $1321 and it runs OS X with the most minimal of efforts. No thanks, Apple.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]j2j663.. You really still use blue-ray in 2012...[/citation]I do so I can watch movies. There's still basically no alternative for blu-ray in terms of quality.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]ultameca[/nom]@j2j663.. You really still use blue-ray in 2012... In a month it's going to be 2013.. Most of us use hard disks now.. It's not 1995 anymore! I don't even put a DVD/blue-ray Drive in my windows PC why would you?, windows 8 boots off of a flash drive.[/citation]

How ignorant can you get? People use Blu-ray because internet streaming still doesn't achieve the same picture quality. Plus with how strict the bandwidth caps are in the U.S. we won't really move to the streaming "future" some people keep bragging about anytime soon.

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
$649 to put all the cheap guts into a slick, beautiful case. That's not so bad. LOTS of people pay an extra $20,000 to put all the guts of a Camry into a BMW. If you don't want to pay that extra, do your best to make your computer look as nice as it performs. if you don't care what your computer looks like, why do you care why others do? If you were never going to buy an Apple product, ever, why are you even reading this story, much less commenting on it. People are weird.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]@coolcash: Lol, buy external bluray player and duct tape to it... right.intel core i5 desktop ... max $700[/citation]
zomg but it's gonna work with my iPad, iPhone, iTouch, iPad mini, iForgotTheNamesofOtherAppleDevicesIHave, iWillBuyIt!

Yep that's the logic of Apple fanboys. I'll stick to the $700 Desktop PC and won't miss the iPhone. Thanks.

dudenucom

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I make good bank.... can spend it too... don't care about penny pinching like the PC fanboys
The logic is sound of overpriced...but next time you see someone sitting with a Mac, just know..... that make a hell lot more money than you PC dude.....

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]dudenucom[/nom]I make good bank.... can spend it too... don't care about penny pinching like the PC fanboysThe logic is sound of overpriced...but next time you see someone sitting with a Mac, just know..... that make a hell lot more money than you PC dude.....[/citation]
I most likely make way better bank than you, but anyway I buy a computer for it productivity and to use it! if i want an ornament for my home or to carry around I'll probably go to home decoration store or interior designer and to a clothing store!!!
If i see somebody with a mac sitting in a coffee shop or pub What i normally think is that they have serious issues with self-esteem or probably make a lot less than must people and need to bust his image in public

G

how about the pricing on the 27 inch model. For 2500 you can get a very good machine considering you are getting a $1000 monitor. they are overpriced by a factor of 3 on the flash storage, which is a shame. You PC fans also need to remember that you do not need an antivirus on the mac and your performance is significantly faster.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
So when Asus (whatever company) copies the special welding process ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/imac_welding_british_company/ ) they used to make the new iMacs and sells their version for $200 cheaper, all the negative commenters above will praise them.

What should be happening is Asus (name the company) one ups Apple in design and components for a better price - Then these comments will be valid.

When a company innovates it pushes the engineering envelope to achieve something unique.

People will still pay a premium for a Porsche when a Mustang will come near 95% of it's performance envelope and costs 1/2 the price... Both cars get you from point A to B but the technology and innovation that makes a Porsche's value intagible to those of you who only look at numbers and compare iCoreX to iCoreX.

Apple's making $$$ because people are willing to pay for something that is intangibly right, not because people are idiots. Calling customers idiots is the number one way to lose them.

now go back to flaming my post :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]I most likely make way better bank than you, but anyway I buy a computer for it productivity and to use it! if i want an ornament for my home or to carry around I'll probably go to home decoration store or interior designer and to a clothing store!!!If i see somebody with a mac sitting in a coffee shop or pub What i normally think is that they have serious issues with self-esteem or probably make a lot less than must people and need to bust his image in public[/citation]

LOL, you judge people by their computers?!? The act of judging someone without knowing them means you're no better them, but much worse...

*sigh* geeks used to love all technology *sigh*

Sent from my Nexus 7

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
i didn[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]LOL, you judge people by their computers?!? The act of judging someone without knowing them means you're no better them, but much worse... *sigh* geeks used to love all technology *sigh*Sent from my Nexus 7[/citation]
i didnt say i was better, neither i care if i'm a better person or not!!

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
@lamorpa you didn't actually answer my question, read it again and also keep in mind I don't want just a PC made of plastic or I would make my own. If you could answer the question I wouldn't have posed it, only apple makes an all in one machine like I described. Anyone who actually reads my post would realize right away how ridiculous what you said was as that was like me asking you for something comparable to a lotus elise and you told me a smart car was cheaper in price

The best way to compare apple vs other hardware vendors is PC is like a smart car and apple is more like a cooper mini.

You can certainly get a cheaper car, it will do the same stuff, it just might be cheaper here and there or might not be the style you like. It depends on what kind of person you are. I can get stuff done good enough/don't really care what my clothes look like/ I enjoy pretty thing and my work should reflect that/I like to be around culture/art/sculpture. That is just breaking it down to the fundamental types of people.

As for you guys trying to say rich people buy apple and that you're better that Sh&* is wack, people should mean more to you than money and apple has done a good job of making their products more affordable so you can bet there are people with less money on a $1000 apple laptop or 500 bucks dropped on an iPad or even the new iPad mini for even less. Lots of people that don't make top buck can certainly afford 1300 bucks for an iMac.

@goodegg For the vast majority of people it isn't a problem not having a blue-ray drive built into the computer, that's why it makes more sense for it to be an accessory. It's not like you can't hook up an external blue-ray on your Mac.

As for quality I recommend you guys take a trip to the local electronics store and watch some trailers on the apple tv, you can make your own decisions. In fact I really recommend that no one here bases any thought on what you read in the comments here. Go to a store and compare it for yourself and if you want Apple to tell you why you should buy one of their products then take a trip to an apple store and see what they have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.