Apple's Rare eMate 300 Turns Up on eBay Priced at $8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotchrisbfries

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Amazing how much has changed in 15 years. Going from 25 MHz machines with 16 colors to multi-core CPUs running at 3-4 Ghz pushing 2 million pixels 60 times a second.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]hotchrisbfries[/nom]Amazing how much has changed in 15 years. Going from 25 MHz machines with 16 colors to multi-core CPUs running at 3-4 Ghz pushing 2 million pixels 60 times a second.[/citation]

Well in fairness, we have gone from 25mhz ARM processors to about 1.5ghz ARM dual core or 1.3 ghz quad core processors. You can't compare this with a desktop... if you did, you would see a 100-120mhz computer against a quad core 4ghz....

ok not much of a difference, but still a little.

j3ff86

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hotchrisbfries[/nom]Amazing how much has changed in 15 years. Going from 25 MHz machines with 16 colors to multi-core CPUs running at 3-4 Ghz pushing 2 million pixels 60 times a second.[/citation]This isn't a good representation of laptops in 1997. In 1997 my family had a Compaq laptop with a 12" 1024x768 32-bit color (or maybe 16-bit, can't remember) screen and a Pentium ~200mhz cpu.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Well in fairness, we have gone from 25mhz ARM processors to about 1.5ghz ARM dual core or 1.3 ghz quad core processors. You can't compare this with a desktop... if you did, you would see a 100-120mhz computer against a quad core 4ghz.... ok not much of a difference, but still a little.[/citation]
If you want to level the playing field then we can go from 25mhz to over 2Ghz dual core in mobile technology. Give it two more years and we'll be carrying what would be deemed a supercomputer in 1980 that sits in the palm of our hands.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Was going to say in 1997 i had a Pentium 2 300mhz machine, I always thought laptops from that era had more juice in em than 25mhz. Maybe that system is similar to a net book instead of a comparable laptop.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
"The model on sale is a pre-production prototype"

How long till Apple forces them to close the auction, and claim ownership since its a "pre-production prototype"??..

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
It'd actually be a cross between a netbook and tablet pc. But, back then RISC processors were much slower clockspeed wise, but, they could perform pretty close to any x86 processor at the time for specific tasks. For example look at the xbox compared to the PS2, xbox had a 900mhz celeron, and the ps2 had a 294Mhz MIPS III/IV based RISC processor.

G

If I want to see old Apple stuff being sold, I'll just go to eBay. Seriously Tom's, what's up with all the Apple crap? As if it's not getting enough attention with all the latest iShit.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]If I want to see old Apple stuff being sold, I'll just go to eBay. Seriously Tom's, what's up with all the Apple crap? As if it's not getting enough attention with all the latest iShit.[/citation]
What are you talking about -This article clearly states it's being sold on eBay..what are you getting all worked up for :lol:

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]If I want to see old Apple stuff being sold, I'll just go to eBay. Seriously Tom's, what's up with all the Apple crap? As if it's not getting enough attention with all the latest iShit.[/citation]
apple stuff is technology. Deal with it. They affect the market and everything else you buy. Stop trying to act like you're above apple, because you're not, it makes you look snooty and annoying.

G

[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]apple stuff is technology. Deal with it. They affect the market and everything else you buy. Stop trying to act like you're above apple, because you're not, it makes you look snooty and annoying.[/citation]
Because it's irrelevant "news" that I don't care for and it's already the 2nd article today about old Apple products being sold in auction.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This isn't a good representation of laptops in 1997. In 1997 my family had a Compaq laptop with a 12" 1024x768 32-bit color (or maybe 16-bit, can't remember) screen and a Pentium ~200mhz cpu.

The eMate 300 is a good reminder that Apple has always been behind the technology curve of its times, just like it is today.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If I want to see old Apple stuff being sold, I'll just go to eBay. Seriously Tom's, what's up with all the Apple crap? As if it's not getting enough attention with all the latest iShit.

I think Apple and the owners of Tom's hardware, Bestofmedia Group, have an unholy alliance made too apparent by the barrage of Apple news readers are bombarded with. Essentially

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]The eMate 300 is a good reminder that Apple has always been behind the technology curve of its times, just like it is today.[/citation]
How so? Unlike many hardware companies... Apple does think outside the box.

Hey... if people want old tech... How much can I get for an old 1997 iOmega ZIP drive, PAR-PORT version? Even thrown in some disks to boot! $5,000?!

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Essentially Best of Media Group, Tom's Hardware Owners, has decided that we have to hear about Apple regardless of how we feel about the company and its mediocre products, not to mention its affront on the advancement of technology and open-standards. The connection between Best of Media Group and Apple runs deeper.

Readers should spend sometime researching the connection between Best of Media Group and Apple.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
How so? Unlike many hardware companies... Apple does think outside the box.

Sure Apple thinks outside the box, especially when looking outside its locked-down iJailedyou shiny boxes for ideas to steal from the like of Samsung. No wonder Samsung has waited for so long to release the Samsung Galaxy S3. Apple is certain looking outside the box for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.