Apple's Yearly Profits Surmounts Entire PC Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Once again all the "Apple"haters show up to read any article about "Apple". If you keep reading the stories you don't have a right to complain. You keep commenting on every story about "Apple". Even stories about "Samsung" bring out the iphone,ipad, i whatever hate comments. You keep reading good old Thoms hardware will keep on writing. Google owns you all I take it. You give them all your information every time you use gmail, Android, and what ever else. Just read the terms of service agreements. And here you are worried about Apple and you, like me, don't own a single Apple product. Apple haters please go cry elsewhere.

G

"whlie its cash pile has reached $121.25 billon."
Zak Islam - Your amount for Apple's cash pile is misleading. Per Apple's 2012 10-K filing, the balance sheet as of Sept 29, 2012 shows cash and cash equivalents of $10.746 billion, short-term marketable securities of $18.383 billion, and Long-term marketable securities of $92.122. These three items total your $121.25 billion. Note 2 - Financial Instruments contains a more detailed breakdown by category of Apple's investments including US Treasury securities, commercial paper, municipal securities, corporate securities, etc. Long-term securities can include things such as corporate bonds with maturities greater than 1 year. Management intends to hold these securities to maturity otherwise they could not be classified as long-term.
10-K for Fiscal Year Ended September 29, 2012
http://investor.apple.com/common/download/download.cfm?companyid=AAPL&fileid=610219&filekey=112dd7d2-e33a-44ad-b4ea-8870c5dd9281&filename=AAPL_10K_FY12_10.31.12.pdf

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I realize that clicking on this article gives Zak Islam another hit for his tabloid style Apple loving "news" but at this point I have realized I just click on them to see how absolutely ridiculous the stories are. I think this one could possibly top all the others he's posted before. Still, this article should show people how greedy the company is. They're being outsold by Android and PC's, yet their profit margins are so high, and Innovation budget (R&D) so low that they actually create articles like this. (Yes, lots of companies missing from the list).

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Zak reports news about Apple for THG. Do you people not understand that? Is it that hard to comprehend? I'll say it slower if you'd like. Zak......reports......news.......about......Apple.....for......THG. Did it sink in that time? What a bunch of whining crybabies...GROW UP.[/citation]He doesn't report "news". He reports sensationalist articles loaded with inaccuracies and bias.

On top of that, you said it yourself. He reports for "THG" which stands for Tom's Hardware Guide. There's nothing about hardware or guides in this article. It's advertising for Apple, nothing more. THG has been moving away from actual technology related articles and moving toward more Apple based advertising such as this. People click on the articles and complain because it annoys them. If all they saw were MS articles of the same nature 10 times a day, they'd get annoyed about that too.

Unfortunately coming here to complain means Zak gets another hit. Personally I wish I could see the author of the article next to the link so I could decide to click on it or not based on who wrote it.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
they surpass pc industries with stupid and expensive gadgets... how many mac do they sell? also they are succesful only in usa because in the rest of the world being able to afford a mac means that you are selling your body on the streets at night, while also selling drugs!

halcyon

Splendid
Its funny, I sold my two considerably nice Macs and switched to Android and am happier for the change. I still have nice gear but have more control. Apple is getting too rich and I'm tired of iOS and too expensive hardware.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I don't see why you all give Zak such a hard time. Yes, he does write almost all of the Apple articles, but I don't see him boasting about how "great" their products are. Every thing in this article is factual. He does not state that "Apple makes a lot of money because all of the other companies make terrible products." This is genuinely unbiased. Whether you like Apple or not, it's a big company, that's a fact. Big companies get a lot of coverage, that's a fact. Until any Tom's Hardware editor starts praising Apple products religiously, please shut up. It's really annoying. Thank you.

dade_182

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]He doesn't report "news". He reports sensationalist articles loaded with inaccuracies and bias. On top of that, you said it yourself. He reports for "THG" which stands for Tom's Hardware Guide. There's nothing about hardware or guides in this article. It's advertising for Apple, nothing more. THG has been moving away from actual technology related articles and moving toward more Apple based advertising such as this. People click on the articles and complain because it annoys them. If all they saw were MS articles of the same nature 10 times a day, they'd get annoyed about that too.Unfortunately coming here to complain means Zak gets another hit. Personally I wish I could see the author of the article next to the link so I could decide to click on it or not based on who wrote it.[/citation]
I'll second that. All of it.

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
[citation][nom]padking[/nom]I wonder if the 40 billions includes the capital gain from the company stock held by Apple itself. Lets consider 40% margin of $500 iPad for example, 40 billions profit means Apple has to sell 200 million units to the market in a year, which is definitely not possible at the moment. As iPad and iPhone should contribute the most profit now, Apple sales record did not reflect they have sold that number of units. Other income from Mac, iPod, or the iTunes stores, or even lawsuit win and loyalty are also unlikely to make up the differences. But if you take into account the appreciation of share price from a year ago, yeah that might be possible.However, if the share price goes down, there could be big decrease in profit as well. Or maybe Apple is also playing the stock market at the moment to earn extra income.Someone should really take a look at the P&L statement from Apple to see where those profit come from.[/citation]
Transactions involving their own stock don't have an effect on revenue / profit, those are equity transactions. Taking a quick glance at the report that "Warren Buffet" was kind enough to link, it appears that they did in fact sell close to 200m iphones and ipads combined.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Millions of suckers who enjoyed getting shafted. Maybe they should donate their life savings to Apple and get it over with.

G

Search the web and I found the following statistics and financial statement from Apple in 2012:

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aapl/financials
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/07/24Apple-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results.html

As expected, the main profit generators are apparently iPhone and iPad, which amount to 43 million units in 3rd quarter. I have not found other sales numbers in previous quarter, but assuming it is more or less constant, it is likely to be in the range of 130 millions - 160 millions for 4 quarters. Assuming 40% profit margin as the P&L shows, and the known market price for such products, the profit per unit can be from $200-$300. The pre-tax income is 55 billion, while the 41 billion is after-tax.

Well, I mean lets not be envious or anything. If Apple can get so much profit, it is good for them. But you can also see the inherit risk of a company deriving most of the profits from 2 product lines. Failure in either tablet or smart phone will be a disaster for Apple. And you can see from the latest offering where the incremental advantage is getting lesser. First of all, many people already switch to tablet and smart phone, so the continuous sales are likely to come from 2nd time buyer. But I highly suspect that the smartphone and tablet market is going to hit disminishing sales soon as areas for improvement cannot be met easily. Longer battery life? More cores (but then it will be more power hungry)? Faster speed (power hungry again)? Better GPU (power hungry)? Higher resolution (power hungry)?

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]madmcgee[/nom]Wish Apple would make more jobs here in the U.S.[/citation]
And pay their taxes too (damn tax loop-holes)! And make quality products. And own up to their mistakes. And stop being annoying patent trolls and stunting innovation.

You know what all of these have in common? They things a company with more money than sense will never do

jimbo007

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
There is some phony stat games going on here. IBM+Intel make almost 29b of profits annually. Adding HP which made a huge loss of more than 12.5b to 2 very profitable companies does not make sense and is deceptive: IBM+Intel+HP = 29b + (-12.5b) = 16.5b. If we go into the senseless business of adding companies regardless of profitability=> Apple+HP (28.5b) == Microsoft+Google (28.5). So what? what a waste of time. You know people get the idea of how much money Apple makes. No need to do idiotic math.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
...This is pointless, it's like comparing 7Eleven to Autozone or something stupid like that. Sure, 7Eleven sells washer fluid and sometimes air filters and oil, and Autozone might sell the occasional bar of candy or bottle of soda but there's no true comparison. Apple makes it's money off of the iPhone and iPad, Microsoft off of its operating system and enterprise division, it's comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended) so there's just no point. Compare Macs to PCs in terms of raw profits within their own industry (and without any external influences to skew the numbers in the PC industry) and then you have a meaningful comparison.

I'll give Apple a nod. Bill Gates and Microsoft never saw it coming. Who would have thought that a cell phone or music player would enter the realm of status symbols like high-end watches, fast cars, and expensive jewelry? If I were in my 20s, and still chasing tail, I'd probably have an iPhone too... lol

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
For 90% of the people using PC's, there is no reason to upgrade. Not enough innovation has come along to make the internet / office users need anything more than a dual core 6 year old pentium 4 or X2 Athlon. For the 10% of us enthusiast / games that need to keep up with current CPU's and GPU's, it's just not enough to beat the PR of crApple with sub-par stuff. GHz hit a ceiling. RAM for internet and office is wasted above 2GB. So again, no reason for the Vast casuals to even consider getting a new computer.

(I say 90% and 10% out of my ass... but it's what it seems like to me while working on everyone's computer in town)

Status
Not open for further replies.