application error

each time I boot up a message appears in the
taskbar "application error".
Also a small box appears on the desktop "contact your
hardware vendor error 1024"
clicking on the OK button clears the messages until the
next time.
Any ideas please

RobD

Champion

You need to find out which app is causing the problem. Sources of
information are:

1. The event viewer. Look for error/info log messages around the time you
boot. Check both Application and System logs.

2. System Information (msinfo32) applet will show list of programs
automatically started after logon under "System Environment". Any program
not related to your hardware should be examined. Try to disable unnecessary
programs to see if one of them is bad. Look for software updates for any
auto-start app that is related to your hardware.

3. The Task Manager. The app's process may still be visible until you
click the OK button. If you don't know what the list should look like, you
could try sorting by name to see what disappears when you hit OK. A lot of
the programs you see with msinfo32 will still be running (e.g. pointer,
sound, virus scan, etc), and some will not (e.g. dumprep, registration apps,
etc).

Once you figure out which app is broken, look for an update. If all else
fails, try to reinstall the software you think is bad.

- Robert -