Question Application has been blocked from using graphics hardware + DXGI HUNG

Mar 4, 2019
I've been having this problem for about a week, after upgrading my PC and after the motherboard died on me. Every time I play game or use applications requiring 3D rendering, like Far Cry 5, the application either freezes for a few seconds before crashing, or immediately crashes, showing the 'Application has been blocked' notification'. However, this notification only pops up a handful of times after the crashing. most of the time, I can get into a game and even start playing, but the games just crash after a seemingly random amount of time. It also looks like the higher the graphics demand of the game, the faster the game crashes, for example, in Far cry 5, I cant get past the opening cutscene on max settings, but at low settings, I can start to move around, although the game still crashes. I also play a bit of fortnite, which gives a crash log upon the crash(attached below). Occasionally, the error 'DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG' comes up too, which I have looked up and has something to do with the graphics card not responding/turning off/disconnecting. I've tried multiple things I found online, like using TdrDeley and TdrLevel, re-installing the Graphics drivers and even downclocking (which seems to delay the crashing, but not prevent it), but none of them work. I feel like im missing something obvious, but I dont have the time nor energy to find out myself.

my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire
Graphics card : PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB XLR8
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2133mHz CMK16GX4M2A2133C13
Power supply: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W
storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB HDD D:
+ Drevo X1 128GB Sata3 SSD C:

The attached files are the crash logs from fortnite, all from different dates from the past week.

I'm new to this website so please excuse me if I'm not posting this correctly
Thanks

FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log
FortniteGame.log

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Hi, thanks for responding, I appreciate the help,
I upgraded the motherboard from a Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 to a MSI B450 Tomahawk, along with a AMD FX 8350 to a AMD RYZEN 5 1600, and Kingston HyperX genesis Blue 1600mhz (4x4GB) to Corsair vengeance LPX (2x8GB) 2133mhz C13 XMP. Once I got the PC running, it booted into the OS. I knew I had to reinstall windows, but I started up fortnite, since just wanted to have a look at a few new things quickly. This is when it first crashed. I used the reset feature on windows, with the ‘keep my files’ option, which I saw online to work. After that, I reinstalled the OS and installed all the drivers, but the games kept crashing.

Also I was just trying some stuff, and ended up on the graphics settings in the windows settings. I set the game applications (the ones that would appear in the notification tab as ‘application has been blocked) to high performance and I was able to play 1 and a half hours of Far Cry 5, even though I could only run the game for 5 minutes if I was lucky. After playing, I re-started the game and it crashed again. In the graphics settings, FarCry5.exe was reset to system default. I changed it again to high performance but it still crashed. Trying a few more times, and on other games, this only works on far cry 5 and no other game I have. However, far cry 5 either crashes in the first few minutes, or keeps on going until I exit the game. I have no way of knowing if it will crash or not until it happens, and it still happens randomly.

My friends told me there is a chance of the RAM being faulty or not compatable, so I will try to find a way to test my RAM and to try different RAM modules in my own pc.

Mar 4, 2019
I have installed the latest bios, but im not so sure about the chipset driver. where can I find it?

Edit: nevermind, i've found it on AMD's website, ill see if this does anything, thanks

Edit: it hasn't solved the problem, but I can at least play for about half an hour now. I also decreased the GPU's memory speed by 150 and the clock speed by 202 using MSI Afterburner, which also helped

Edit: after about a day, I can no longer play for more than about a minute before any game crashes. It may have something to do with the drivers I installed. I used MSI Live Update to install the drivers, which may be the problem since the crashes happened faster after I used it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
I had replaced my GTX 1060 with my brother's GTX 1050 Ti, and that still didn't fix it. I was able to play BFV for about 30 minutes, but then it crashed, and I could no longer play for that long. This might mean its a different piece of hardware screwing up, or a problem with the software. Its been a month since I've been able to play anything properly, so some help would really be appreciated.