[SOLVED] Application icons keeps becoming blank

ChaosRambutan

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
I've installed a fresh installation of windows 10 after having multiple times of having the same issue. I have applications losing their icons, they just become blank. It's not the shortcut but the application itself has became a blank, even though I can still execute and use it. I've tried rebuilding IconCache.db to no avail, the problem persists. Everything was completely fresh, so could it be an SSD failing? Should I replace my SSD? I've been troubleshooting for about 6 hours now and all hope seems lost.

Solution
Are you using the same user name/password each installation? is it linked to a microsoft account? i just wonder if its the user. WIndows syncs settings between users so it might just be a broken profile.

create a new local user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
make it admin
while on current user, go to C/users folder
copy the contents of your current user onto the new users folder - this gives it full access and should let it use everything old user has.
login to new user and perhaps use it for a while and see if you have same issues.

Otherwise, maybe it is the SSD. Its rather strange that its only the icons.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you using the same user name/password each installation? is it linked to a microsoft account? i just wonder if its the user. WIndows syncs settings between users so it might just be a broken profile.

create a new local user - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account
make it admin
while on current user, go to C/users folder
copy the contents of your current user onto the new users folder - this gives it full access and should let it use everything old user has.
login to new user and perhaps use it for a while and see if you have same issues.

Otherwise, maybe it is the SSD. Its rather strange that its only the icons.

Solution