Application 'Power Throttling' Comes To Latest Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 16176)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
This would be very useful if they replace Windows 10 Mobile with a variant of Windows 10 for ARM (with Win32 on ARM) with a more flexible UI. That would be better than current Continuum, dock it and not only does the UI change, but this time you're running full Windows capable of running Win32 software. THAT would be the target goal for a Surface Phone, IMHO. Intel certainly doesn't have anything competitive with SD 835 in that power envelope.

Anyway, in order to make full Windows power efficient enough for a phone, it needs aggressive throttling of background tasks. This will benefit other mobile devices too (tablets, ultrabooks, etc) but those devices have been doing well enough without this. For an all-day phone this is an absolute must, which is what got me thinking about full Windows on ARM phones in the first place. It's like a bunch of puzzle pieces, Continuum, OneCore, Qualcomm/MS Win32 on ARM partnership, Power Throttling, Adaptive UI. I feel like they're starting to come together. We'll see though, the concept is easy but execution is tougher.

Giroro

Splendid
Sure, I'll let Microsoft monitor every bit of every app. I trust them so much I'll even build out a list of which apps are "important" to me and have cortana use my limited internet data cap to automatically upload it to their servers in the background without my knowledge or consent.

It's not like Microsoft is now holding your system performance hostage until you give them more data for them to mine and sell off to advertisers and governments, right?
What could possibly go wrong?

G

Windows 10 has broken power management feature by forcing more cores in park mode under Performance Profile where Windows 7 parks 1 or 2 cores. So what happens is that sudden spike of clock speed under Windows 10 causes game to run like shit. This is something you wont see in benchmarks showing frames but something you will experience in real time by having micro freeze or stutter.

Windows 10 -> biggest garbage ever.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Yea no I set performance mode for a reason so my system runs at it's peak output at all times. I will be turning this crap off for sure. The CPU idles when not using it now at it's lowest possible speed. I do not want my tasks being hamstrung into not running at their peak because it could save me 50 cents a month in power & I do not need MS telling me how my system should be running. I bought a costly cooler so My overclocked CPU would not throttle...lol

I guess I could see this working on a laptop to get the best battery performance maybe I misunderstood and this is for mobile only and not for desktop either way if it tries to fix whats not broken on my system it will be very promptly removed or turned off in my system's.

Status
Not open for further replies.