[SOLVED] Application that inventories external hard drives?

ObjectNull

Commendable
Jun 27, 2017
I have a large archive of old projects on a bunch of external hard drives and was wondering if there's an application I can use to scan my hard drives and create an index of them so I can search their contents without needing to plug them in?

I would like to be able to perform a search across all my hard drives (that are not plugged in) for a particular project or file and then, once I figure out what hard drive it's on, plug in the corresponding hard drive and grab the file.

Is there an application that can do that on Windows? I used to use an app just like that on Macs but I forgot what it was called.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
I have used WinCatalog to index hard drive content,
I have a large archive of old projects on a bunch of external hard drives and was wondering if there's an application I can use to scan my hard drives and create an index of them so I can search their contents without needing to plug them in?

I would like to be able to perform a search across all my hard drives (that are not plugged in) for a particular project or file and then, once I figure out what hard drive it's on, plug in the corresponding hard drive and grab the file.

Is there an application that can do that on Windows? I used to use an app just like that on Macs but I forgot what it was called.

I have been using WinCatalog...
I have used WinCatalog to index hard drive content,

I have been using WinCatalog but it isn't free though.
I index and catalog a disk while connected to the PC...then export the report to a CVS file...then store the disk away. I use the same name for the disk and the CVS file (e.g. 2019_disk-12).
I use Excel to read and search the content of a specific disk, so I don't go around connecting and searching several disks.
I also convert the CVS to PDFs.

Reactions: ObjectNull
Solution

ObjectNull

Commendable
Jun 27, 2017
"without needing to plug them in "
"(that are not plugged in) "

I'm curious as to how you think this should work.

The way the app worked on Mac (again, I can't remember the name) was very simple - you'd plug in an external hard drive and use the app to scan it's contents, it would make a snapshot of the entire hard drive but without the actual files (it would show everything about them though, date created, file size etc... they just weren't there).

So when I opened the app, on the left side I'd see a list of ALL the hard drives I ever scanned into the app, I could search one, or all, or just drill down through the folders exactly like I would using the Finder, and once I identified the file I was looking for I'd know which hard drive I needed to connect and where it was on that hard drive.

Adobe' Photo Shop Elements can do that. It keeps catalogues with thumbnails, metadata etc, while actual photos are elsewhere. Unfortunately, it is not free (about $100), but once in a while it gets reduced on Microsoft' Store (meaning you can have it installed on several PCs).

You can download a trial copy directly from Adobe, and check it out.