Application using com port

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi

Is there a utility that will tell me what program is using the com port?
I've got a Windows XP Pro PC and I'm trying to get an application to work
that sends data to com1. This isn't working and when I try and test to send
a file from another PC using Hyperterm it says it can't access com1 as its
in use by another package - and not its not the one I'm trying to get
working as thats shutdown. System manager shows the port as OK and working
and I can't see any conflicts on irq or address in device manager.

I've run the PC up in dos and used some utlities to check the port and they
are all showing it as fine including testing it with loopbacks and no
problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

Jay

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

XP will not allow direct control of the ports by an
application. Old DOS programs try to do that, AFAIK.

"Jay Hendry" <jlhendry99@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in
message
| Hi
|
| Is there a utility that will tell me what program is using
the com port?
| I've got a Windows XP Pro PC and I'm trying to get an
application to work
| that sends data to com1. This isn't working and when I try
and test to send
| a file from another PC using Hyperterm it says it can't
access com1 as its
| in use by another package - and not its not the one I'm
trying to get
| working as thats shutdown. System manager shows the port
as OK and working
| and I can't see any conflicts on irq or address in device
manager.

| I've run the PC up in dos and used some utlities to check
the port and they
| are all showing it as fine including testing it with
loopbacks and no
| problems.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thanx
|
| Jay

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Jay Hendry" <jlhendry99@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns94E487071239Cjlhendry99hotmailcom@195.188.240.197...
> I've got a Windows XP Pro PC and I'm trying to get an application to work
> that sends data to com1. This isn't working and when I try and test to send
> a file from another PC using Hyperterm it says it can't access com1 as its
> in use by another package - and not its not the one I'm trying to get
> working as thats shutdown. System manager shows the port as OK and working
> and I can't see any conflicts on irq or address in device manager.

Do you have a Palm Pilot (or other PDA) with a cradle attached to your COM port? Are you running an application like HotSync? Are you running FAX with an external modem?

All these things could be using COM1. I would check that first. If you're sure there are no applications using COM1, then open Device Manager, expand the Ports collection, right-click on COM1, and select scan for hardware changes from the pop-up menu.

I hope that helps.

- carl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

if the device that you have connected to your serial port sends data
continuously and you are running Windows NT/2K/XP, then the problem
may be that Windows thinks that the device is a serial mouse and is
installing the mouse driver for the COM port when you first boot up.

The following URL contains more inforamtion on how to fix this type of
problem.
http://www.taltech.com/support/troublsht/NTDetect.htm

On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:16:25 GMT, Jay Hendry
<jlhendry99@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Is there a utility that will tell me what program is using the com port?
>I've got a Windows XP Pro PC and I'm trying to get an application to work
>that sends data to com1. This isn't working and when I try and test to send
>a file from another PC using Hyperterm it says it can't access com1 as its
>in use by another package - and not its not the one I'm trying to get
>working as thats shutdown. System manager shows the port as OK and working
>and I can't see any conflicts on irq or address in device manager.
>
>I've run the PC up in dos and used some utlities to check the port and they
>are all showing it as fine including testing it with loopbacks and no
>problems.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanx
>
>Jay

kav2k

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the question was not answered here, however, this shows up in Google so an answer might be valuable.

Russinovich's neat utility Process Explorer does the trick.

To check which programs holds COM port open for itself, press Ctrl+F, and search for handle substring "serial". If any COM port is busy because some application is holding it open, you'll see its process name and ID in the list.

Note: COM1 translates to handle to "\Device\Serial0", COM2 to "\Device\Serial1" and so on.

ambujkumar

I had the same issue. I resolved this by uninstalling the Microsoft ActiveSync application, as suggested by Carl (posted on 05-09-2004 at 06:16:26 PM) above.
After uninstalling ActiveSync, I could open the COM1 port with Hyper Terminal.
Hope this will help anyone looking for a solution to this.
Thanks,
ambuj

italora

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I try Process Explorer, I do not have any "serial" process but my COM port is always busy ! ?!?!?
Have you any other suggestion ?
I have 1 Generic/Text only printer installed with port=COM1 but is is not in use !!!
And more... if I disable/enable COM1 port it becomes available, if I change Generic/Text onliy printer porto to file and then back to COM1 port again COM1 port becomes UNAVAILABLE again.

TRENDING THREADS