[SOLVED] applications keep restarting

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Our church has a Dell Optiplex 9020 with one PCI video card plus the integrated video. We moved it to a new location so we could hook up a rear projector to it. Here's the problem.
When it was first set up, everything was fine. Bright display on the screen as well as on the monitor. Today when we started the unit, everything kept restarting. Windows, Powerpoint, etc. When the programs restarted, the cursor had jumped back to it original position and we had about one second to move it to the icon we wanted before the restart.
Our first thought was the unit having a senior moment with two displays so we disconnected the integral video cable. The restarting stopped for about three minutes and then began again.
Any suggestions? We absolutely need the unit running correctly by June 18.
Thank you much.

Solution
I think I found the problem. The video card is an old ATI Radeon. It was set as disabled per the ATI control center. My first fault check was to disconnect the cable running to the card. Restarts continued. Next I put it into a pc that was known to function. That unit would not even display. I put it back into the Dell 9020 and for a few moments all was well until I opened the ATI control panel. The card was set to disabled. I enabled it and for a few moments all was right. Then the restarting began. Even though no settings had been changed, the second display was far too large and sometimes the desktop would appear and then everything would disappear and only the desktop background showed. So, I believe thru elimination and...

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I found the problem. The video card is an old ATI Radeon. It was set as disabled per the ATI control center. My first fault check was to disconnect the cable running to the card. Restarts continued. Next I put it into a pc that was known to function. That unit would not even display. I put it back into the Dell 9020 and for a few moments all was well until I opened the ATI control panel. The card was set to disabled. I enabled it and for a few moments all was right. Then the restarting began. Even though no settings had been changed, the second display was far too large and sometimes the desktop would appear and then everything would disappear and only the desktop background showed. So, I believe thru elimination and substitution the video card has bought the farm. Now to try to find an inexpensive replacement.

Solution