applications quit after resume from screensaver

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok, so this has been mentioned in this group before, but I haven't been
able to find a real answer fot it yet. It's been bugging me for well
over a year now.

Occasionally when my computer resumes from a screensaver, an
application will quit. Sometimes the rightmost app on the taskbar will
quit, sometimes an app not even in the taskbar or system tray will
quit.

This doesn't happen with any particular screensaver. It's happened with
third party screensavers, and it just happened today when resuming from
the default Windows screensaver.

My system is fairly clean, as I just reinstalled everything a couple of
weeks ago.

Anyway, here's a couple of system specs:

Windows XP Pro - SP2
ATI Radeon 9600XT graphics, latest Catalyst driver

Any ideas? I've heard IntelliPoint 5.2 mentioned, but I'm certain I've
had this problem before it was released.

- Jacob Rens

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The Event Viewer might show you a message about something failing. The filename, and who made it might be a good clue.

start/run, type: eventvwr

My guess would be you have some corrupt driver, probably the video device.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the video device, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Jacob Rens" <jacob.rens@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120423508.107779.14910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Ok, so this has been mentioned in this group before, but I haven't been
> able to find a real answer fot it yet. It's been bugging me for well
> over a year now.
>
> Occasionally when my computer resumes from a screensaver, an
> application will quit. Sometimes the rightmost app on the taskbar will
> quit, sometimes an app not even in the taskbar or system tray will
> quit.
>
> This doesn't happen with any particular screensaver. It's happened with
> third party screensavers, and it just happened today when resuming from
> the default Windows screensaver.
>
> My system is fairly clean, as I just reinstalled everything a couple of
> weeks ago.
>

> Anyway, here's a couple of system specs:
>
> Windows XP Pro - SP2
> ATI Radeon 9600XT graphics, latest Catalyst driver
>
> Any ideas? I've heard IntelliPoint 5.2 mentioned, but I'm certain I've
> had this problem before it was released.
>
> - Jacob Rens

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It killed-off iTunes twice the other day, and there was no sign of it
in any of the event logs. (Also, it's not an iTunes problem, because
this bug also closes web browers, Photoshop, this non-tray dock utility
I use, or whatever else may happen to be open.)

Can't be corrupt display drivers either, since this bug has existed
through many iterations and installations of those drivers.