[SOLVED] Applied new thermal paste on gpu and now Artifacts.

Apr 9, 2021
I felt like restoring new life in an Asus 1050ti 4gb dual fan card by new Cooler Master thermal paste. Now I'm getting all kinds of jacked up artifacts on the screen. Any help would be appreciated. I applied just a pea size and cleaned up spill over. Thanks

Fail

Solution
Those BGA ICs (both the main chip and memory) attached to the board with soldering “balls” which are solid. Bending and bowing leads to partial IC separation from the board.

Artifacts are memory errors and could be a result of either memory (gddr) or memory controller (inside the main chip) issue which may very well be a result of the above.

Reflow will usually fix it if the mounting pads are not thorn off the board.

Do not bother with 1050, just replace it.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
are you sure you properly screwed back in place the backplate and not overscrewing the screws? It has to be tight don't get me wrong, but not to the point that the backplate smushes everything. Usually those are vram artifacts.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Def too much paste. Not that that should cause artifacts but yeah, to me it def looks likes there's an excess that gets pushed off the edges a bit too much. Or you overtigthened the backplate and the paste got smushed to the sides of the dye. I mean you can see yourself the paste being on the side of the dyes and little to none on the dye itself. Should be the other way around lol. Do the vram capacitors feel solid at touch? Also it's a stupid thing but hey, better be safe than sorry. Remember to plug the fans back in.

Apr 9, 2021
Also, should I wait before testing to let the paste cure or does it matter? I'm using Cooler Master and wondering if maybe I should use something different. This stuff is very.....white. Why does it gotta be white man! Lol. Kidding. I'm used to it being more greyish.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Hey guys thank you for the responses. I just ordered some Grizzly Kryonaut. This stuff has some good reviews.
Let's hope you don't get a bad batch.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not a necessity to have pads on GDDR5X, even less so for the GDDR5 on this card. The gpu's fans are sufficient for them.
Can't speak for the VRM though, but a 1050Ti isn't a power hungry card either.

What was the exact brand and model of paste you initially used?

Apr 9, 2021
It's not a necessity to have pads on GDDR5X, even less so for the GDDR5 on this card. The gpu's fans are sufficient for them.
Can't speak for the VRM though, but a 1050Ti isn't a power hungry card either.

What was the exact brand and model of paste you initially used?
Cooler Master High Performance Thermal Compound