Question Applied thermal paste twice in 2 month , results in great temps reduction but creeps back to thermal throttling

Mar 17, 2021
I have applied hermal paste twice
Hardware : Acer Nitro 5 (2019) bought 10months ago
CPU : i7 9750h (base clock 2.6ghz and boost clock 4.0ghz)
GPU : gtx 1660ti
Ram : 16gb ( Dual channel)
Initial temps : thermal throttling On both gpu and cpu @ 94c on CPU and 86C on GPU
  1. Gelid gc extreme - Reduce 20C and and later the temps on both cpu and gpu creeped up and back to thermal throttling just after a month
  2. Normal silicone paste from acer : 10C reduction and back to thermal throttling within 4days
Now guys as we can see the temps are getting lower after repasting but creeping back up
So we can say that the laptop is capable of cooling but the reason the laptop is getting hot eventually is after some time is unknow .
So what do you think is the thermal pastes that i am getting are bad in shape or the heatsink is not doing it's job?
Things that i did : Repasted ( with best precision possible) , Cleaned the vents and fans .

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal paste, any compound paste really, wouldn't drastically increase temps shortly after it's been applied. Some do cure but this will improve overtime not worsen.

How are you comparing temps though? Doing the same tasks or sitting idle?

Cooling in laptops aren't very good in general because both cpu and gpu usually share the same heat pipes. Not sure if this is the case with your laptop's cooling setup but you would have seen it.

Have you considered a cooling pad to force more air through? An idea would be to enclose underneath the laptop with stick on sponge strips blocking any chance of air escaping out the undersides.

Mar 17, 2021
Thermal paste, any compound paste really, wouldn't drastically increase temps shortly after it's been applied. Some do cure but this will improve overtime not worsen.

How are you comparing temps though? Doing the same tasks or sitting idle?

Cooling in laptops aren't very good in general because both cpu and gpu usually share the same heat pipes. Not sure if this is the case with your laptop's cooling setup but you would have seen it.

Have you considered a cooling pad to force more air through? An idea would be to enclose underneath the laptop with stick on sponge strips blocking any chance of air escaping out the undersides.

I am using a DIY stand to provide fresh air to the laptop intake .

Stock :
1. Idle : for below 60c on both CPU and GPU
2.Load ( gaming) : thermal throttling (GPU :86C max for my laptop and CPU: 95C max for my laptop)

Gelid gc extreme :
Initially:
1. Idle : for below 50c on both CPU and GPU
2.Load ( gaming) : thermal throttling (GPU :66C max for my laptop and CPU: 75C max for my laptop)

After a month:
Stock temps on both Idle and load

Silicon based paste by acer:
initially:
1. Idle : for below 55c on both CPU and GPU
2.Load ( gaming) : thermal throttling (GPU :72C max for my laptop and CPU: 84C max for my laptop)

After a week:
Stock temps on both Idle and load

I agree with you laptops cooling is not efficient and yes my laptop also uses the single heatsink for both CPU and GPU
And Cooling pads are not worth it in budget category could be better in the premium price!

BUT IF THE COOLING IS NOT EFFICIENT HOW ARE THE TEMPS BETTER INITIALLY AND WORSEN EVENTUALLY?

Mar 17, 2021
Paste does not deteriorate, and quality differs little.
likely it is your cleaning that is doing the job.

Possibly the repasting process did not secure the cooler properly.
Do you mean the clamping pressure is not sufficient?
BUT IF THE IF THE PRESSURE IS NOT ENOUGH HOW ARE THE TEMPS BETTER INITIALLY AND WORSEN EVENTUALLY?
I think the possible reason is dust ? But do you think dust can accumulate and block the airflow in a week or so (FULL DISCLOSURE I USE MY FANS AT MAX MOST OF THE TIME)