Discussion Apply thermal paste to Ryzen Zen 2 Cpu's.

Kiril1512

Distinguished
Hello. Back in 2014 I had my brand new I7 4790K and I've done some research and self tested what was the best method to apply thermal paste on the CPU and what was better (by 2ºC - 3ºC) was draw a vertical line with the paste across the CPU. That make sence since the chip is in the position like in this picture:

hqdefault.jpg

Now I'm building a PC to my brother and I bought for him the Ryzen 5 3600. For the first couple of months it will remain with stock cooler and we will upgrade it to the aftermarket latter on.
But even with the stock cooler or not, what is the best method to apply the paste since the chip are located like this?

cpu33.jpg

In this case would it be better to apply the line from top right to bottom left?

Hello. Back in 2014 I had my brand new I7 4790K and I've done some research and self tested what was the best method to apply thermal paste on the CPU and what was better (by 2ºC - 3ºC) was draw a vertical line with the paste across the CPU. That make sence since the chip is in the position like in this picture:

hqdefault.jpg

Now I'm building a PC to my brother and I bought for him the Ryzen 5 3600. For the first couple of months it will remain with stock cooler and we will upgrade it to the aftermarket latter on.
But even with the stock cooler or not, what is the best method to apply the paste since the chip are located like this?

cpu33.jpg

In this case would it be better to apply the line from top right to bottom left?
It really doesn't matter as tim should cover whole contact surface EVENLY ! Putting more or less at any point is not productive.

This is one of my points. I din't "believe" the results and done it by myself and I have seen those 2-3ºC decrease at least on idle temperatures...
That's well within margin of error, you could run tests after test and still show that margin. As I said before, important thing is to have right amount on whole surface no matter where the cores are as pressure will smear it anyway. You just can't put more directly above the core(s) and expect it to stay there. It's important to have tim as thin as possible, more is NOT better !! No matter how conductive TIM is it's still more of an insulator than heat conductor.

For a long time now I have done what Count Mike stated with my corsair water coolers on the pump head.
I just taint the copper plate with a very small amount using a credit card then apply a pea size dot the the cpu.
That is what seems to get the best temps
From a fx6300, fx8350 and my 2600x.

Reactions: DMAN999