Question Applying a Win 10 image

Lodestar 1

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Just looking for some advice.

I am intending to apply a Win 10 backup image to an NVMe M.2 1tb WD and intending to make this my primary bootable drive.

The drive is installed and currently labelled e. I also have my current c drive (an SSD) and a d drive.

I intend to power down, unplug both my c and d drives then power up and enter recovery via usb. I then will install onto the NVMe M.2.

My question is, will it be labelled e drive or revert back to c given it is the only drive? Can l ensure it is labelled c when applying the image or will it automatically leave it as the e drive?

Also, when l reattached the old c drive that has the OS on it, will this cause a boot conflict? I'm want to reconnect it, format and use as storage.

Many thanks and apologies if l'm missing something obvious.

AP

Lodestar 1

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Why don’t you just clone the C to the E and then swap them out

When l installed the OS l had two drives connected. The OS went on the C but the system partition went on the D .

When l tried cloning using WD Acronis True Image 2016 which l got free, l followed all the instructions. I disconnected the c drive and powered up and the PC wouldn't boot. In the bios l couldn't select the M.2 as bootable either - but it is present in Windows and allocated etc

. I am assuming that the cloned drive did not contain the system partition files to be able to boot?

With the image l am.creating it now includes those files so l can put them all on the M.2 if all other drives are disconnected?

Thanks