Question Applying thermal pads to VRAM chips that don't have any kind of heat sink

1337Skrjabin

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
Hello. So I have this ASUS Dual GTX 1070 and the only part of it that gets proper heat sink is GPU itself. VRAM chips don't have any heatsink attached to them. They don't have a radiator of their own and they don't contact with the main radiator. They are just left unattended. They overheat. I don't know much about cooling so I wanted to ask you guys whether it makes any sense to cover those VRAM chips with thermal pads. Will it improve their ability to transfer the heat into the, ehm... air? So basically I'd like to know if thermal pads make any sense when they are not connected to some kind of radiator.

1337Skrjabin

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
No, the pads would need to be in contact with some form of heatsink. I don’t recall the 10 series having VRAM temperature sensors, how do you know they are overheating?
Sometimes, when my VRAM usage is getting very high, like 5-6 gb/8 used, textures start glitching, failing to load, stuff like that. I'm assuming that it's about vram overheating because those chips look like they would eventually overheat since they don't have any heatsink. Thanks for the explanation about thermal pads, I won't use them on my vram then.