Applying thermal paste

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
whats the best way to apply thermal paste? how much do i need? and what do i spread it with?

hsf: tuniq tower 120
cpu: c2d e6600
mboard: asus p5b deluxe

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I just apply a dab to the top of the CPU once it's latched in. The instructions I've read say about a grain of rice worth. You really need very little. If you get too much it can run over the side of the CPU and sometimes unde the CPU

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Simple and effective way is the squeeze method. You squeeze the right amount of thermal paste on the cpu then with the heatsink squeeze the thermal paste to spread out the surface evenly and with a twisting motion while keeping good amount of downward pressure. Align the heatsink and secure the mounts.

Another way is to squeeze and spread out the thermal compound on the surface of the cpu with a use of a credit card or something similar with straight edge. Spread it out evenly and making sure it's thin like paper thin. Place heatsink on the cpu, push downward and twist and then secure in place.

Then here's the sure way to have thin even layer of thermal compound. First, clean the heatsink surface that will comes in contact with the cpu. Then with a use of a tape like masking tape or something similar, tape the edges of the surface of the heatsink and leave a space in center untaped, roughly the size of the cpu. Now place thermal compound on the heatsink center and with a use of the credit card or similar objet, spread out the thermal paste on the surface (the center) making sure the credit card is resting/sliding on the tape. This way the layer of thermal paste gets evenly spread out the surface about as thin as the masking tape. Remove the tape , place heatsink of the cpu, downward twisting motion again and secure.

Or (not advisable) you can do the factory apply method, which I think they seems to squeeze out 5 times as needed and mount the heatsink with all the thermal pastes oozing out the sides of the cpu.

As for my method, I mastered the apply-squeeze-twist method and got the same results and using with the rest of the methods.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
i was referring to the OP

OP?

Agree with the Squeeze and Twist method. Like almost everything with computers there is more than one way of doing it. I think the most important things are making sure you apply it to a clean surface, both CPU and HSF (rubbing alcohol works well), and only use a little bit, unlike beer drinking and sex, more is not better. :D