[SOLVED] Appropriate PSU for Ryzen 7 3800X + RTX 2080 build?

A friend of mine is building a PC with the specs below and needs a power supply recommendation. I tend to go a little overboard on my power supply recommendations, so I thought I would inquire here for a more balanced suggestion. I'm seeking wattage, manufacturer and model #'s. Feel free to offer 1 - 3 suggestions each. Thank you.

specs: Ryzen 7 3800X / 16 GB RAM / RTX 2080 (non-super / non-Ti)

Solution
Excellent quality, 10 year warranty & enough power for the system & overclocking.

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $105.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 11:31 EST-0500

Any reason for not going with the 2080 Super? For less then $100 more you can get quite a bit more performance. The above PSU recommendation would also suffice for the 2080S.
Pickachu I did indeed ask him if he planned to one day upgrade to the Ryzen 9 3900X or 3950X OR overclock, and he stated no to both questions. He hasn't stated a budget to me, but I presume that he'd prefer modular. He tends not to like hassles, so I'm trying to make his life as easy as possible with information.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Excellent quality, 10 year warranty & enough power for the system & overclocking.

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $105.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-18 11:31 EST-0500

Any reason for not going with the 2080 Super? For less then $100 more you can get quite a bit more performance. The above PSU recommendation would also suffice for the 2080S.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
WildCard999 Thanks for the recommendation; I will definitely pass it along.

Unbeknownst to me, he located and purchased a EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra Gaming for $679.99 on Amazon and jumped on it. My guess is that he felt that it was good enough.
It could be depending on his monitor(s) resolution/refresh rate although for $20 more it might be something to consider even if he has to do a return.

Pickachu and WildCard999 My friend upgraded all of his newly purchased components, including the PSU and graphics card. He bought the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850, because his Micro Center location was sold out of the 650 watt model. Also he ended up upgrading to the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming, 08G-P4-3081-KR. He also upgraded his RAM to a 32 GB 3600 Mhz kit.

WildCard999 Thank you for the recommendations, especially the GPU upgrade. Your advice came in very handy.

Last edited: