Question Apps Freezing when Launching Games

Hi all,

I have a weird minor issue that's been happening to me over the past few months.

Whenever I launch a game (CoD, Fortnite, NMS, Witcher 3, etc..) every other app in my PC will freeze for a few seconds. After the freeze is over, everything will fast forward back to where it should be.

Let me give you an example. I have a dual monitor setup. Let's say I'm watching a YouTube video (or even Netflix App) on my second screen and decide to launch a game on the main screen while I'm still watching. The game will start to load without issues. At some point during the game launching, the video will freeze (let's say when my PC froze, the video was at 1:00 and let's say the freeze lasts 5 seconds). Once my PC unfreezes the video will quickly fast-forward to 1:05. Now the video fast-forwards back to 1:05, it does not skip to 1:05. Meaning that everything that happened in that video during those 5 seconds was shown at a x20 speed like it's catching back up to where it was supposed to be at. During this entire time, the audio of the video is completely normal and I hear everything while the PC is frozen. Yes, I also cannot click anything during this freeze. But if I click on a link during the freeze, an active tab will open up at a x20 speed after the 5-second freeze is over.

I have noticed the cause of this freeze-to-fast-forward thing only occurs when I launch a game and sometimes when I load a map. So if I'm on the lobby on Fortnite or CoD and launch a Battle Royale mode, the freeze-to-fast-forward will occur. This does not occur on lighter games such as Dota 2, LoL, CSGO.

At first, I thought it was the HDD but it never spiked to 100% during the freezes. There was simply no spike at all. I still decided to reinstall Windows across my 4 drives (NVME, SSD, x2 HDD). I've reinstalled games and also tried installing games in the same drive to which Windows is installed to, but the issue still persists. I've also tried using different sticks of RAM. Windows and every driver is up to date. The temperatures and loads of my CPU, GPU, and HDD are all normal (even when using graphs to check if maybe the spikes would register there instead). Do you think it may be the motherboard?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS