• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Apps run very slow when playing games

Jul 13, 2020
I have been trying to use OBS and play games but whenever I tab into my game, OBS runs at like 10 fps and the CPU usage says its 1% in OBS but the game runs fine, then when I tab back to OBS everything is fine.

I have tried changing the CPU priority on the games, steam, other apps and OBS but nothing has worked, even reinstalling the games and OBS didn't work.

I suspect it has something to do with Windows 10 or my RAM, but I don't want to make a purchase if I done need to.

CPU = Ryzen 5 3600
GPU = Nvidia 1650 super
RAM = 1 X 16gb 3000mhz (old)
RAM = 2x8gb 3600mhz (new)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020
It should noticeably help.
I got the new RAM kit you suggested and it works with most games, so I am just going to assume its a problem with the games.

GTA5 with mods runs fine but TruckersMP and Euro truck simulator 2 doesn't run well.

OBS just keeps skipping frames when I am playing them.

Jul 13, 2020
And that would be?
It's either that or a setting in something that isn't right.

My old PC was a core 2 quad something, 8GB of RAM (no idea what kind) and a GTX 750 ti.
If I could play it back then and record it, then why can't I do that now with a much more powerful PC?

Jul 13, 2020
What resolution/bit rate are you capturing at?
I wasn't even capturing it.

I tried to stream it a few days ago before the new RAM came and that's how I noticed the problem, and when I started paying attention to OBS I noticed that it was lagging when I tabed into the game.

With the new RAM it's less leggy but still bad.

I capture at 3k to 5k bitrate.

ASK THE COMMUNITY