April Fools jokes?

It's a few days late, but still. I had a grand time telling some of my
Cape Verdean ESL students the "Good News" that oil had been discovered
in their country, and now George Bush was going to "liberate" the
islands! They got a little unnerved and said, "But why?"

"Well... Because then it will be safe for Democracy there!"

"<Exasperated> Cape Verde *is* a Democracy! We don't need America there!"

"<Suspicious> You mean you don't WANT your country to be liberated? You
don't want *freedom*?"

"NO! I mean... We *are* free! We don't need George Bush!"

Around about then I let them know I was just kidding.

The trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that isn't entirely
unbelievable.

- Ron ^*^

Matthias

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:27:03 -0500, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:

>It's a few days late, but still. I had a grand time telling some of my
>Cape Verdean ESL students the "Good News" that oil had been discovered
>in their country, and now George Bush was going to "liberate" the
>islands! They got a little unnerved and said, "But why?"
>
>"Well... Because then it will be safe for Democracy there!"
>
>"<Exasperated> Cape Verde *is* a Democracy! We don't need America there!"
>
>"<Suspicious> You mean you don't WANT your country to be liberated? You
>don't want *freedom*?"
>
>"NO! I mean... We *are* free! We don't need George Bush!"
>
>Around about then I let them know I was just kidding.
>
>The trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that isn't entirely
>unbelievable.
>
> - Ron ^*^

*applause*

--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen

Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

> It's a few days late, but still. I had a grand time telling some of
> my Cape Verdean ESL students the "Good News" that oil had been
> discovered in their country, and now George Bush was going to
> "liberate" the islands! They got a little unnerved and said, "But
> why?"
>
> "Well... Because then it will be safe for Democracy there!"
>
> "<Exasperated> Cape Verde *is* a Democracy! We don't need America
> there!"
>
> "<Suspicious> You mean you don't WANT your country to be liberated?
> You don't want *freedom*?"
>
> "NO! I mean... We *are* free! We don't need George Bush!"
>
> Around about then I let them know I was just kidding.
>
> The trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that isn't
> entirely unbelievable.

No, the trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that *is*
unbelievable, and convincing them anyway.

Plausibility is a crutch for amateurs.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Terry Austin <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in
>

>> It's a few days late, but still. I had a grand time telling some of
>> my Cape Verdean ESL students the "Good News" that oil had been
>> discovered in their country, and now George Bush was going to
>> "liberate" the islands! They got a little unnerved and said, "But
>> why?"
>>
>> "Well... Because then it will be safe for Democracy there!"
>>
>> "<Exasperated> Cape Verde *is* a Democracy! We don't need America
>> there!"
>>
>> "<Suspicious> You mean you don't WANT your country to be liberated?
>> You don't want *freedom*?"
>>
>> "NO! I mean... We *are* free! We don't need George Bush!"
>>
>> Around about then I let them know I was just kidding.
>>
>> The trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that isn't
>> entirely unbelievable.
>
> No, the trick to a good troll is starting with a premise that *is*
> unbelievable, and convincing them anyway.
>
> Plausibility is a crutch for amateurs.

One of the best ones I was involved with was like this, and improv.

When I was living in residence, one time Shari (my girlfriend) and I
were in Graeme's room playing Monopoly.

Graeme: "Some people are really gullible. One time, my family went on a
trip to Hawaii. While we were there, we convinced my cousin
that the 'Mac'adamia plantations were actually owned by
McDonalds. They were an earlier attempt at branding, before
they opened the fast food chain. The nuts were originally
called 'Adamia' until the plantations got bought up. She was
so gullible, she actually *believed us*."

note: scene is set -- the statement is so transparently false that only
someone terribly gullible would believe it.

Shari : "Heh, she must've felt pretty silly."
Graeme: "Yeah, she got teased about that for the rest of the trip."
Me : "Well, she gets to laugh at you guys now. Serves you right."
Graeme: "The story in the paper? You think the analysts are right?"
Me : "Good chance. It'd take some great spin to make it look good if
it goes to court."
Shari : "Huh? What's this? What story?"
Me : "Trademark infringement suit opened about a month ago. Turns
McDonalds thinks the names are too similar -- 'Mc' vs. 'Mac',
dealing with food products -- and is 'actively defending their
trademark'."
Shari : "*REALLY*?"
Graeme: "Yeah. If they don't, they could lose it. It's all kind of
silly, since the name 'macadamia' predates McDonald
corporation, but they've got deep pockets."
Me : "Godzilla versus Bambi, yeah."
Shari : "But that's not very fair!"
Me : "No, it isn't really. You're a business major, though; you know
trademarks have to be defended or they're lost, whether it's
fair or not. Still, the perception on this one wouldn't be
good -- lots of people would see the big company picking on the
little one -- so they'll want to settle as quickly as possible."
Shari : "That makes sense, but it still isn't right."
Me : "Of course not. That's why a lot of people figure they'll just
make the plantation owners a deal and buy them out. Quicker
and easier all around."
Graeme, a little down: "And Shannon will rub our noses in it for
*months*, I'm sure."
Shari : "Ha! She should. It's not nice tricking people like that."

Well. At that point we just lost it.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "English is not a language. English is a
keith.davies@kjdavies.org bad habit shared between Norman invaders

Keith Davies wrote:

> Well. At that point we just lost it.

Do a web search for "Canadian Wallpaper Festival".

Robert Huff

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in

> Graeme: "Some people are really gullible. One time, my family went on a

You spelled 'gullible' wrong. It is spelled 'gullable'

-phy

phy <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Xns962D791AAC6Cphy00xyahoocom@
69.28.186.121:

> You spelled 'gullible' wrong. It is spelled 'gullable'

Nope, he spelled "guillible" correctly, he, however, chose the
wrong word.

--
Marc

phy <phy00x@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>
>> Graeme: "Some people are really gullible. One time, my family went on a
>>

> You spelled 'gullible' wrong. It is spelled 'gullable'

I thought they had removed it from the dictioanry completely.