[SOLVED] APU Driver Issues

Nov 8, 2018
I recently assembled a new computer that is centered around the ryzen 3 2200g. I booted it up for the first time and started installing drivers and updates. Each time I try to get it to work, the screen looses input, but the computer keeps running when I install drivers for the 2200g. I downloaded the driver straight from AMDs website and I'm confident I got the correct one.

I am running a ryzen 3 2200g in the b450 I aorus pro wifi with 16gb of ram and a WD Blue 500gb m.2 ssd

Solution

I don't think you can install the OS to a removable drive.
If you feel like spending more money, you can pick up a 1TB drive pretty cheap these days. You can always use it for extra storage so your SSD doesn't fill up so fast.
Nov 8, 2018
That was the second thing I tried. It seemed to have the same effect. When I boot into safe mode (which is the only way I can get a display) device manager shows a bunch of missing drivers for things that had drivers before, but says that the a display driver is AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's a new problem I've not come across before. I think I'd first try a new clean install of Win (10?).
The missing drivers in safe mode is normal. Many drivers are purposely not loaded. Just the necessary ones.

Nov 8, 2018

It is a clean install of Windows 10 that I am working in. I have tried reloading it multiple times while trying to figure out what was going on. While I was trying to figure out a fix to my issue, I spent some time reading similar threads about black screens after graphics driver installations. I tried a fresh install, wiping the drivers and installing different ones, and I've tried to figure out what was being installed that caused this to happen.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a clean fresh install of Win 10, the installation pgm should locate the driver before you even finish with the setup screens. At least it always had for my installs.
If you get a 1080p or greater display, the driver is loaded. Btw, I'm a little confused by your statement "Each time I try to get it to work, the screen looses input, but the computer keeps running when I install drivers for the 2200g."

Did you mean that the system is fine until you install the drivers?

Nov 8, 2018
I'm guessing that it isn't finding the drivers beforehand because I am connecting to the internet via the mobos built in wifi to connect to the internet which I can only get working after I get into windows (due to the driver not being installed). When the system is using the Windows default graphics driver the display works without issue and I can see the initial splash screen before getting into windows without issue, it is only after the OS takes over that I lose video.

The system is still clearly doing some kind of work after the driver gets installed, but there is no signal coming through the HDMI ports on the board that is being detected.

When I do uninstall the driver, it works for a short time, but then the screen goes black again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I just recently built a Ryzen 3 2200g / Win10 system for resale and never had any issues at all. So I suspect there's a piece of hardware not functioning as it should. The trick is finding out which one. I would suspect the board before the APU.

Are you using any unusual peripherals? Keyboard, mouse, external drives, etc.? Maybe list the entire system specs.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Do you have any other drive (conventional SATA HHD, SSD) that can be used for testing? Temporarily remove the m.2 SSD and try again?
I know... the drive should have no bearing on this problem. But I'm coming across more and more posts here about m.2 drives and seemingly unrelated issues.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I don't think you can install the OS to a removable drive.
If you feel like spending more money, you can pick up a 1TB drive pretty cheap these days. You can always use it for extra storage so your SSD doesn't fill up so fast.

Solution