APU for GTA V 720p

mehuporsas

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I'm building a really cheap PC for my friend to play gta 5 with his old 720p PC. I want yo go with an APU but I don't know if the A10 7850k is worth it vs the cheaper A8 and A6 for 720p gaming. What should I get?

Solution
The answer is pretty complicated.

AMD APUs do have better integrated graphics than, for instance, a Core i3 6100. If you were to buy the system and never upgrade it, the AMD APU would be a fine choice. The problem is when, down the road, you want to upgrade - socket FM2+ has no faster CPUs, and the CPU portion of AMD's APUs is pretty weak. With the i3, you can add an i5 or i7 later on.

If you add a discrete GPU, you're also much better off with a Core i3, because at that point you're not even using the APU's only real selling point, it's better integrated graphics, and you're left with a slower and more power hungry CPU that can't be upgraded.

So, I might be tempted by the APU if I were to build a small form factor machine that...

Inkiad

Distinguished
If you will run games on integrated graphics, go with intel i3 6100. Is better then apus but still crap for gaming.
Get a r7 260 / 950 for gaming on 720p on full details on every games. Still get the i3.

The answer is pretty complicated.

AMD APUs do have better integrated graphics than, for instance, a Core i3 6100. If you were to buy the system and never upgrade it, the AMD APU would be a fine choice. The problem is when, down the road, you want to upgrade - socket FM2+ has no faster CPUs, and the CPU portion of AMD's APUs is pretty weak. With the i3, you can add an i5 or i7 later on.

If you add a discrete GPU, you're also much better off with a Core i3, because at that point you're not even using the APU's only real selling point, it's better integrated graphics, and you're left with a slower and more power hungry CPU that can't be upgraded.

So, I might be tempted by the APU if I were to build a small form factor machine that will never a video card, due to case size, but otherwise I'd probably pick Intel.

Solution