[SOLVED] APU mining?

kurdtnz

Notable
Feb 24, 2020
I know pretty much next to nothing about bitcoin/et al mining but with the global shortages of GPU's, can you not mine using an APU? Just curious..

InvalidError

Titan
can you not mine using an APU? Just curious..
The two most common crypto-currencies are BTC and ETH. BTC hasn't been cost-effective to mine on GPUs because ASIC miners are several times more power-efficient and make GPUs uneconomical. ETH is memory-intensive ("memory-hard") and would be bottlenecked by the IGP only having access to DDR4 memory over a 128bits bus. On top of that, you can only have one IGP per system, which means a huge power-efficiency penalty if you wanted to make a mining farm out of those. Since power and cooling are major costs to crypto-mining, power-efficiency is critical for breaking even.

In short, nobody mines on IGP because it makes no economic sense - costs more to run than you are likely to earn.

Reactions: kurdtnz

InvalidError

Titan
can you not mine using an APU? Just curious..
The two most common crypto-currencies are BTC and ETH. BTC hasn't been cost-effective to mine on GPUs because ASIC miners are several times more power-efficient and make GPUs uneconomical. ETH is memory-intensive ("memory-hard") and would be bottlenecked by the IGP only having access to DDR4 memory over a 128bits bus. On top of that, you can only have one IGP per system, which means a huge power-efficiency penalty if you wanted to make a mining farm out of those. Since power and cooling are major costs to crypto-mining, power-efficiency is critical for breaking even.

In short, nobody mines on IGP because it makes no economic sense - costs more to run than you are likely to earn.

Reactions: kurdtnz

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS