APU or Celeron

lfc123

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hello,

I'm planning for a new build and was wondering what would be best suited for this build: the A6-5400k or a Celeron G1820.

The build will mostly be used for word processing and light web browsing but every week or so, it'll need to run in a dual monitor configuration: One monitor will be used for word processing while the other will be playing 1080p video.

I know the APU would be the obvious choice due to its superior graphical power but does it have enough raw processing power to smoothly browse the web for the next 4 years or so?

Price-wise, they are very similar.

Thanks.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

does the system suffer from lack of cpu performance for basic tasks like windows operation? any information about motherboards you can provide?

lfc123

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Quad core would be overkill for this build. Can anyone comment on whether the iGPU in the Celeron is sufficiently powerful enough to power 2 monitors, with one playing 1080p video?

All it says is Intel HD Graphics - which I believe is worse than HD 2000 graphics - which is flaky at higher-bit-rate 1080p videos...

logainofhades

Titan

Considering how weak said quad core is, it is not overkill. A phenom II X4 is faster than an A8.

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Though AMD says 1866 should be used, I found: Dell and HP computers being sold with 1333.... not sure why but NO WAY it causes a bottleneck

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
the apu uses system memory instead of dedicated memory. think of the difference between a gpu with ddr3 and ddr5. same gpu with different ram has a drastic effect on performance. when using system memory for the gpu, you really do want it as fast as possible as it is already too slow