Question APU Shared GPU-Ram is lower than on predecesser - FIXED !

Dec 2, 2019
Hello ! I have an older Laptop here with me, which whom i changed it's mobile processor a week ago, from a
APU 6-4400 to a A10-4600 APU, the first one was a slower dual core, which ran actually quite acceptable for what it was being used, i've made a little research online and found a good deal for a newer CPU that was actually quite cheap compared w what the other sellers wanted.

I've bought the A10 Chip, switched it, runs good, the only issue i experience is the dedicated shared memory, it is stuck at 512MB. Now i did do a little test gaming, for fun and to pass some time on the APU A6-4400M, i played GTA 4, it didn't ran so well, i got like 14 to 23 FPS average, w everything except shadows and antialiasing turned off, on 1366-768 but that was maybe because i used 1333Mhz memory instead of 1600, now to get to the point, The A6 CPU-GPU Had Gprahics memory over 512Mb, which i don't understand really why, in windows if i remember correctly it said 512MB dedicated memory, shared memory was like 2 or 3GB, now on the newer CPU it says the same thing but i can't increase graphics details in GTA 4 or 5 as much i did with the A6 processor, it won't go over 488Mb, ALSO for some strange reason i can't overclock the GPU part on this CPU in AOD, it won't detect my GPU, there is no slider to change the frequency and in the info tab there's nothing related to my GPU, any other software detects it but not AOD, reinstalled AOD a couple of times same goes for AMD catalyst, tried crimson then the normal version, nothing changed.

Could the memory limitation be from the A10 Chip, like is this a default setting the chip came out of the factory or maybe the chip is damaged ?! or is it windows related ? i'm going to try and install a clean version of windows when i have time in the next days so, if i found anything out i'm going to report back , if somebody is interested or if this thread is going to be read by somebody who faces similar problems on similar machines.

Thanks !!

------- Apperantly there's no way to alter gpu shared dedicated memory for the A10 "4600" Series, if there's no option in the bios for it, 512MB is the default, the a6 4400m, either has something damaged, or the bios on this laptop has a specific setting but is hidden, and allows that specific cpu to work above 512mb, i've installed it and i can assign at least 800mb of graphic memory in games. TOPIC IS CLOSED !! IF any moderator see's this, i would like to ask him to delete this thread, or do as he/she see's fit. thank you

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
did the laptop have the bios support for the A10 apu?
It has the latest bios installed that was available on HP's website.
also this machine has 8GB dual channel running on 1600mhz, so it has plenty of space to take atleast 1GB for the graphic part.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS