[SOLVED] APU Turbo boost

Oct 3, 2021
hello people, this is a bit silly question, but I hope you can help me. I have a laptop processor with integrated graphics, and although it performs very well in games, I feel that it could perform better, because the MHz of the APU, never reaches its maximum (1300 MHz), it is always below 950MHz. Can I do turbo boost or something similar to improve this?

Solution
Laptops are generally performance limited due to temperature. If temps aren't limiting, you're still at the mercy of the max chip power draw.

You can start by identifying the CPU temp while running your favorite game. If you don't have a second monitor to watch the temps real-time, use a program (like HWinfo64) that stores maximums.

Next you're at the mercy of whether or not you can actually tweak anything (being a laptop). The best thing you can do is undervolt, which reduces power/heat and allows the chip to get closer to max frequency.
Laptops are generally performance limited due to temperature. If temps aren't limiting, you're still at the mercy of the max chip power draw.

You can start by identifying the CPU temp while running your favorite game. If you don't have a second monitor to watch the temps real-time, use a program (like HWinfo64) that stores maximums.

Next you're at the mercy of whether or not you can actually tweak anything (being a laptop). The best thing you can do is undervolt, which reduces power/heat and allows the chip to get closer to max frequency.

Reactions: Fabrizio01352
Solution
Oct 3, 2021
Actually, i have been monitoring gpu and cpu usage, temperature, etc. a lot. And it has good dissipation, it hasn't risen above 70 degrees, the problem is that the bios is very limited, and it doesn't give me the options to increase the frequency. I can make an undervolt, but what I would like more would be for the gpu to work at the MHz that it should work in games (1300) and not in the 900 or 800 MHz that it reaches. Do you have any idea if I can do this?

So temps aren't an issue, but the clock throttling is because of power limits. Like I said, undervolting reduces power draw at a given frequency, which would allow the machine to run higher frequency within the power envelope.

Anything else is going to be at the mercy of what you tell us you can adjust. If there's any option to increase the power limit, that would obviously help.

ERic1953

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Hi:
You could try giving the fans in your laptop a blast of canned air to clear off the dust.

I have a laptop with an Intel i7-3740 CPU rated at 2.7GHZ. It runs at 70% of the top end speed. I give it a blast of canned air occasionally. I also have the laptop sitting on a cooling pad.

Eric