[SOLVED] APUs and GPUs?

Mar 2, 2019
So, I'm planning on building myself a PC on a pretty low budget. I saw that getting an APU was a good idea to save money, but was wondering if its worth getting an AMD 5 2400G/3 2200G as I plan to add a GPU in the future?

Solution
Yes that's perfectly fine to do as when you do get a dedicated GPU installed the iGPU on either of those CPU's will be disabled. Now for example if your running multiple monitors you could go into the BIOS and enable the iGPU on the CPU which would allow you to run a monitor off that iGPU then use your main gaming monitor with whatever dedicated GPU you get. If your going with a iGPU for at least a few months then I'd get the 2400G as that Vega 11 is better then the Vega 8, plus you get the extra threads which nowadays is good to have for gaming & multitasking.

WildCard999

Titan
Yes that's perfectly fine to do as when you do get a dedicated GPU installed the iGPU on either of those CPU's will be disabled. Now for example if your running multiple monitors you could go into the BIOS and enable the iGPU on the CPU which would allow you to run a monitor off that iGPU then use your main gaming monitor with whatever dedicated GPU you get. If your going with a iGPU for at least a few months then I'd get the 2400G as that Vega 11 is better then the Vega 8, plus you get the extra threads which nowadays is good to have for gaming & multitasking.

Solution
How far in the future are you looking at?
How strong will that prospective graphics card be?

I do not much like interim solutions.
You are paying extra for a modest integrated graphics capability when you buy an APU.
That advantage will be wasted whenever you later upgrade to a discrete graphics card.

My preference would be to buy a good processor up front and use a discrete graphics card with it.
If that is an EVGA card, you can take them up on their 90 day free trade up offer and get your full purchase price back on the initial card.

If you buy an Intel processor, you can use HD630 integrated graphics,
That is fine for even HD movie playback and visually good games,
But that option is not great for fast action gaming.

Just for comparison, 2200g has IGP equivalent to GT 1030 and 2400g is almost like 1050. If you can live with those, you can always get better, dedicated graphic card later on. In either case a half decent MB with b450 chipset and 3000 -3200MHz RAM in a pair, their graphics really perk up at those speeds and dual channel . 2400g would be a good match for 1060 or even 1070.

WildCard999

Titan
One last thing to add in is pair this 2200G or 2400G with a B450 motherboard, this will allow overclocking and better memory support/stability. Guides for overclocking the CPU/iGPU can be found online and the stock cooler is sufficient. Also go with fast memory in dual channel (2x4gb @3000+ as a min).