News Arc A750 Trades Blows With RTX 3060 Across Nearly 50 Games

D

Deleted member 431422

I'm not enthusiastic about Arc. Recent news are not good. I hope Intel will offer GPU's that can rival with AMD and Nvidia. It'd be good for all of us.

Reactions: RedBear87

Nikolay Mihaylov

Prominent
Jun 30, 2022
I'm not enthusiastic about Arc. Recent news are not good. I hope Intel will offer GPU's that can rival with AMD and Nvidia. It'd be good for all of us.
I am very enthusiastic about Arc. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. What will matter the most is the price-performance ratio. Obviously, as e newcomer with shoddy drivers Intel will not be able to demand Nvidia's or AMD's prices. They will have to undercut them. And the drivers will get better. So they will provide much needed competition in some segments. They can also offer some more fringe benefits like seamless PCIe passthrough or even SR-IOV. Sure, these are not widely used but also will not cost much to implement, since they need them for the server market. It's a bit like what AMD did with Zen. No artificiall feature segmentation - all Zen CPUs have the same features, they just differ in number of cores and frequences.

All that is needed is explicit commitment from Intel for long term presence in the GPU market. I would even argue that not having proper GPU line puts them at a disadvantage in the long term. I was very unhappy when AMD acquired ATI but it has paid off. Hopefully, Intel realize that and will improve their execution to provide worthy competition that we all benefit from. They missed a huge opportunity the last couple of years but this game plays out in decades..

KyaraM

Admirable
If they now could just pull their stuff together and get the drivers into a working condition... and release the cards, of course.

If they now could just pull their stuff together and get the drivers into a working condition... and release the cards, of course.
I am very enthusiastic about Arc. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. What will matter the most is the price-performance ratio. Obviously, as e newcomer with shoddy drivers Intel will not be able to demand Nvidia's or AMD's prices. They will have to undercut them. And the drivers will get better. So they will provide much needed competition in some segments. They can also offer some more fringe benefits like seamless PCIe passthrough or even SR-IOV. Sure, these are not widely used but also will not cost much to implement, since they need them for the server market. It's a bit like what AMD did with Zen. No artificiall feature segmentation - all Zen CPUs have the same features, they just differ in number of cores and frequences. All that is needed is explicit commitment from Intel for long term presence in the GPU market. I would even argue that not having proper GPU line puts them at a disadvantage in the long term. I was very unhappy when AMD acquired ATI but it has paid off. Hopefully, Intel realize that and will improve their execution to provide worthy competition that we all benefit from. They missed a huge opportunity the last couple of years but this game plays out in decades..

Yeah, we will really have to see. However, they already announced that they would sell them according to tier 3 game performance, so games that are running on older APUs and perform not so great on their cards. We will see. Hopefully soon.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
As a linux user Arc is very promising. I kinda wish I had not bought a radeon (for an insane price), and held out for arc.
Even if it's slower, it would likely still be plenty fast for anything I do and the drivers will mature with time. The price point seems competitive with these initial products. Plus it's something new/exciting.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel ARC is an exciting entry in the GPU space. However, I feel the first gen ARC got delayed too much that whatever excitement it was meant to deliver, basically is fizzling out in face of next gen GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. Its clear that 2 things are a hurdle to them, (1) timing, and, (2) driver/ software support, both of which Intel failed to deliver.

What will matter the most is the price-performance ratio.
until you need to play a dx11 game and are SOL cause ur performance just got tanked.

price and performance pale in comparison to support.

and again reviews of them are not exactly confidence inspiring....especially with a guy at head of company who is known to happily delete products that are too much work for not enough payout.

If u drop $ on an arc gpu and find out they wont support it in few yrs that would suck. worse if they dont fix issues with it within that time frame.

I want Intel to succeed (as means betetr prices for end users via competition) but its intel...basically google on trashing stuff that doesnt make em enough $. (and issues with board partners doesnt make it look any better)

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
What's the point to show benchmarks a graphic card that it's not yet in the market and we don't know the price? If they put out this graphics card in December. All these number will be pointless because the market will be different.
I just want the release date and the price. Then the experts will say what it's worth.

InvalidError

Titan
So, Intel allegedly performs on-par with the RTX3060 in "first tier" games. What I'd be most curious about is how Intel performs in its "third tier" games its pricing is supposed to be based on.

I'd like to get a $200 RTX3050, though a $200 A750 could be nice too.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
They aren't trading blows with anyone since there are none on the market.

And the drivers will get better.
They never have before.
The months delays are because they can't even put together a base reference driver good enough to meet the minimum.(meaning it won't crash)

InvalidError

Titan
The months delays are because they can't even put together a base reference driver good enough to meet the minimum.(meaning it won't crash)
While Intel's IGP drivers may suck for gaming, they are the standard for the bulk of office and non-gaming PCs and there are very few complaints there. The fundamental functionality is fine for most production environments, which is Intel's core business.

Reactions: KyaraM

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I am on a fence, and will stay there until actual reviews. I believe that if they can actually run DX12 at 60-300 FPS at 1080p Ultra that DX11 will likewise run over 60 FPS. Yes, drivers will tank 50%, but older games are simpler and less taxing, so instead running at 200 FPS (as on eg 3060) they'll run at "just" 100. So for more of a casual gaming it could still be great card. The crucial thing is not crashing, and not tanking 90% or producing artifacts all over screen.

So if they can keep performance over 60FPS at Ultra setting on 1080p, and at High on 1440p, then all I care is stability and PRICE!

Now what's biggest issue is... If Nvidia releases 4060 by December and Intel releases A750 in October, then they will fight 4060 (or 4050 later) most of the product lifetime. So if 4050 is 250$ then A750 can't be 300$.

So yeah, wait and see, wait and see. Way too much happening in next 4-5 months, if one can wait it out, then wait...

I have 1070 Ti, and it's enough for 1080p. I do plan upgrade, because I plan whole system upgrade, it's way too old. But while I will be buying CPU/MBO this year, I will keep my GPU until Q1 2023, and see what happens with AMD/Nvidia/Intel releases. I'd like to bump up to 1440p + ray tracing, so A770, RX 7600/7700, RTX 4060, we will see. I hope mining stays dead until then so actual MSRP is actual price, and that everything is available. If not, eh, 1070 Ti will continue its duties :)

Thats nice, now where are the (4 million expected for 2022) cards?... I guess they still have a few months left.

Its all good but we need the product on the street, 3rd party reviews and benchmarks.

Im not expecting intel to be on pair with Nvidia and AMD, both of them been doing this for many, many years. But they really need to work out the drivers the best they can, and actually launch the product.

Everything else is pointless.

Reactions: LolaGT

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I am very enthusiastic about Arc. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. What will matter the most is the price-performance ratio.
It's not really an issue of liking/disliking it, between ongoing rumours, like Igor's one about Intel offering worse conditions than Nvidia/AMD to AIBs, and Intel killing whole projects like Optane because they weren't making money (and GPUs aren't going to make any money for several years) it's hard to not get concerned about the future of ARC.

For those that are not aware.
This is Intels THIRD attempt entering the discreet graphics card market.
The first was a failure with bad driver support. I740/50 . Abandoned shortly after arrival.
Larabee never produced a consumer card. It became a niche server card then abandoned.
So those of us old enough to remember these flops/abandonment's are skeptical.

This is Intels THIRD attempt entering the discreet graphics card market.
The first was a failure with bad driver support. I740/50 .
Yup. I remember that one. Barely a blip on the radar because of the laughable performance. It strangled the AGP bus hard.

The hardware this time seems okay. Nothing crazy. But the drivers, oh the drivers. If anyone wants a good lauch -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYSeT-T5uk

Co BIY

Splendid
If Nvidia is looking at sales tanking 50% next year that's a pretty brutal market to present your unproven product in.

Intel may be reduced to a "free samples" marketing approach even if they get close to performance parity on the low/mid end. Bundling with a CPU purchase sounds viable.