News Arc A770 Loses 25 Percent Performance Without Resizable Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Hmm.... intersting...

I am wondering if there is actually alot more performanc could be unlocked from this feature. Esp. with PCIE 4.0/5.0 since the CPU could write to graphics card RAM much faster.

The performance loss from Arc shows that this feature could have a big impact on performance. Maybe we are seeing very minimal gains on AMD/Nvidia cards because the GPU is not designed to take advantage of this.

Last edited:
Hmm.... intersting...

I am wondering if there is actually alot more performanc could be unlocked from this feature. Esp. with PCIE 4.0/5.0 since the CPU could write to graphics card RAM much faster.

The performance loss from Arc shows that this feature could have a big impact on performance. Maybe we are seeing very minimal gains on AMD/Nvidia cards because the GPU is not designed to take advantage of this.

I was thinking that too. AMD and Nvidia’s designs are biased toward the normal 256 MB standard since they have been building their designs well before re-bar came about. Since re-bar was released with the pci-e 3 standard but has only just now been utilized by AMD to edge out a win against nvidia then nvidia scrambling to get it to work with their 3000 series, it stands to reason that rebar inclusion was not a design requirement. Since Intel has a fresh start designing a micro-architecture, it makes sense that they would make the arc design reliant upon the newest cpu-vram interface.

Reactions: cyrusfox and KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
....so?

Steam's stats say 7 and 8 combined account for 3% share. 10 and 11 garner 96.69% of the Steam base. Which is currently 24M accounts.
Some people really love their old, long depricated OS...

Windows 7 was great, but people really need to move on at one point. You also simply can't implement backwards compatibility until anno dacumal. That's a lot of work. People already complain about Intel drivers and say they should have done less and added features over time, and now they want OS backwards compatibility into the early 2000's? Come one, one or the other.

(Edited for typos)

Last edited:
Some people really love their old, lomg depricated OS...

Windows 7 was great, but people really need to move on at one point. You also simply can't implemwnt backwards compatibility until anno dacumal. That's a lot of work. People already conplain about Intel drivers and say they should have done lwss and added features over tume, and now they want OS backwards compatibility into the early 2000's? Come one, one or the other.
Where’s my Windows ME support Intel…Geez

Reactions: KyaraM

InvalidError

Titan
ReBAR isn't a "technology like SAM", it is the generic PCI-SIG name of the PCI feature and SAM is nothing more than AMD's house rebrand, just like FreeSync is AMD's house-brand for its implementation of VESA's Adaptive Sync.

Reactions: alceryes

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
I am running an Intel 10th gen chip, however I also am running Linux (kernel 5.19 up to date), you know the forgotten step-child, no mention if these work on Linux?

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
it's not just older system as per the article
rebar / sam requires dx12 / new vulkan

So any dx11 or older API there's no rebar and will show performance loss unless Intel fixes this issue

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
it's not just older system as per the article
rebar / sam requires dx12 / new vulkan

So any dx11 or older API there's no rebar and will show performance loss unless Intel fixes this issue

Why would you think this is an issue? One would have to think that Intel knew what they were doing all along and didn't just coincidently develop an architecture optimized for SAM.

InvalidError

Titan
I am running an Intel 10th gen chip, however I also am running Linux (kernel 5.19 up to date), you know the forgotten step-child, no mention if these work on Linux?
AFAIK, Intel has only announced Linux support for the brand-new kernel 6.0, which basically means no direct support from Linux vendors until their next releases assuming they weren't feature-locked to 5.xx before 6.0 got announced.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Why would you think this is an issue? One would have to think that Intel knew what they were doing all along and didn't just coincidently develop an architecture optimized for SAM.
it's an issue because dx11 have terrible FPS because they optimized only for rebar operation
and like I said rebar can't be used with older API

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
How article's author can be so incompetent and write so much misinformation? Besides what was pointed out:
Regarding ReBAR, only Intel 10th Generation Comet Lake, 11th Generation Rocket Lake, and 12th Generation Alder Lake processors support that feature.
ReBAR on Intel can work since PCI-E 3 support, i.e. Ivy Bridge! With minimal troubles on Linux. On Windows official support started from 300-series motherboards but there are manual working hacks for as early as Ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.