Archaic phone wiring or Archaic Ethernet?

cooldude8530

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Okay so i had an idea to re-wire some of my old dsl/phone wiring as Ethernet wiring, for its purpose i had no need for speed so i was not really caring on that front, but when taking sockets off i found what you see in the images bellow, it looks more like some archaic form of Ethernet. I may be wrong, infact i probably am but i am more so now looking for a second opinion.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OwdWkSTPqzdGmmJx2

Solution
Definitely phone, as you can see someone has tapped the center two wires to go to another outlet. Those are the only ones needed for a single phone line.

If it's CAT3 wiring, that's rated for 10BT but can run 10/100 easily enough at short enough distances. You only need 4 wires so can still use 2 for the phone like so:
cat3split.png
Definitely phone, as you can see someone has tapped the center two wires to go to another outlet. Those are the only ones needed for a single phone line.

If it's CAT3 wiring, that's rated for 10BT but can run 10/100 easily enough at short enough distances. You only need 4 wires so can still use 2 for the phone like so:
cat3split.png

Solution
More important would be where the other end of the white cable goes. If these cables do not all end in a central location you can't really use them. Phone lines tend to be daisy chained together. Ethernet is point to point with a say a switch or router on one end the pc on the other.

You are going to have to remove/replace those jacks anyway, those look like UK versions of phone jacks.