Question Archer A7 Decrease range

Nov 12, 2022
I had bought a Archer A7 February of 2022 and for the most part I have been happy with it. But over the past several months I've began to notice that the range has been slowly dropping. My workspace is 30-40 ft away and initially I was getting average of 70-100 mb/s on 2.4G and 200 on my 5G. But over the last several months the range has been dropping and now I less than 15 mb/s on 2.4G and barely able to connect to the 5G network. I've tried rebooting, putting it on a reboot schedule, factory resetting it, and updating the firmware and nothing has worked. It still works great less than 20 ft from the router, but any more than that it drops out drastically. Overall I haven't had an issue with the router except for the range. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Nov 12, 2022
This router?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07KGH7R5X

Have you tried changing channels?

Any new neighbors/wireless networks that could be causing interference? Any other environmental changes: new building or other construction?

Are you using a laptop and moving about?

Look in the Router's logs (if available and enabled) for any errors or problems being recorded.
  1. Yes that's the router but I had gotten it brand new, not renewed.
  2. I currently have channels set on auto, but let me check switching it to see what will happen
  3. No new neighbors and I can only detect one Wifi signal from where I usually work. On that note, I don't use any other devices that have their own network like Sonos or Zigbee so I don't think my network is getting stomped on.
  4. I usually work in my office and rarely move my laptop around.
  5. As far as errors in the system log, nothing showed up as error as far as I could tell

kanewolf

Titan
  1. Yes that's the router but I had gotten it brand new, not renewed.
  2. I currently have channels set on auto, but let me check switching it to see what will happen
  3. No new neighbors and I can only detect one Wifi signal from where I usually work. On that note, I don't use any other devices that have their own network like Sonos or Zigbee so I don't think my network is getting stomped on.
  4. I usually work in my office and rarely move my laptop around.
  5. As far as errors in the system log, nothing showed up as error as far as I could tell
WIFI is difficult to diagnose. Have you rearranged the furniture ? Something as simple as that can drastically reduce your signal.

Nov 12, 2022
WIFI is difficult to diagnose. Have you rearranged the furniture ? Something as simple as that can drastically reduce your signal.

No, I have changed anything over the last few months. And I don't see anything that would have cut my signal by that much. Maybe its just the router's issue and I'll have to get a new one, which really sucks.

It is too bad you did not have the signal levels from before. The signal levels indicate the power of the wifi signal. The speed is more how much data they put into the signal but it can be damaged by other signals....like from your neighbor. So you could have very strong signal but also a very strong interfering signal and get poor data rates but the amount of power being put out by the router would be fine. If the power level would drop you would get lower data rates also but in that case it is more something is now blocking the signal or the radio has become defective.

This is kinda hard to see unless you have been collecting data which few people do.

Do you have another wifi device you can test with. Since there are 2 radios with all wifi connections it could be that the router is having issue hearing your end device rather than the router itself having a issue.

It is rather rare to get a failure like this. The wifi for 2.4 and 5 are 2 separate radios chips so it is not real likely both would fail at the same time. You end device likely only has 1 radio chip and it switches between 2.4 and 5g.

I guess the good news one of the reason you buy tplink is they have pretty good customer support. Most their routers have at least 1 year warranty some have 2 years so even if you don't have a receipt you can likely use the manufacture date.