[SOLVED] Archer T5E low network speed goes up and than falls down again

OliSmola583

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
I bought a new gaming pc with some nice specs (rtx, ryzen5, 16GB and so on..), I also added a Archer T5E network card to my setup (the one with 2 anthenas). It's a weird situation because on steam I had 2-3.5 MB/s download speed, and than suddenly when it passed midnight it got up to 16 MB/s... I have a 23MB/s internet speed but only get this download speed. In the morning it got back to 3 MB/s, it is also worth noting that I can't use google normally when downloading something. Yes, anthena is a bad spot on my desk between 2 walls, a case and a monitor but the router is only 5 meters away.
  • It wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't seen it go up to 16MB/s because now I know it is possible to get that download speed.
  • I think there is no new drivers to install, no I can not move my pc or router...
  • I know that LAN cable is an option but it would be nice if somebody could help me solve this problem if possible.
Thank you,
Oliver.

Solution
Most routers almost force you to change the password. You want to change the admin password and the passwords on both wifi radios. While you are doing this if you see a feature called WDS disable it.
The antenna are designed to function the best when they are upward but sometimes if you have a multistory house other positions might work better.

In any case this is not your issue. None of this will cause it to be slow only during certain hours.
Time of day problems are almost always other people causing you problems. It is likely your neighbors using wifi but you need to verify that it is not someone in your house. The only real thing you can try is to change the wifi channels. You really only have 2 options to set the channels manually one in the 40's and the second in 150 range. The router might use other channels if you let it run auto. In some cases the router might use channels that conflict with weather radar so it must reduce the power, this could change by time of day. Check your radio channels, if the router is using 50-145 these channels have restrictions.

It would likely be worth the effort to test on ethernet to ensure this is not some strange internet problem. Small ISP oversell their network so you will see slow downs.

Another thought make sure you have your SSID for 2.4 and 5g different names. It would be fairly common to only get the slower rate on 2.4g and the higher rate on 5g. Make sure you know which radio you are using.

Reactions: OliSmola583

OliSmola583

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
What do You say about changing router password - is it a must? I'm still using the default password...
Also i do not know does the anthena position metter that much (i have 2 of them just sitting straight up ).
I literally had to pause game download to open up the forum.

I'm new to the field of wireless network so I am maybe talking nonsense but I will consider your advice and see what I can do.
Thank you a lot for taking your time :).

Most routers almost force you to change the password. You want to change the admin password and the passwords on both wifi radios. While you are doing this if you see a feature called WDS disable it.
The antenna are designed to function the best when they are upward but sometimes if you have a multistory house other positions might work better.

In any case this is not your issue. None of this will cause it to be slow only during certain hours.

Reactions: OliSmola583
Solution