Archos G9 Tablet Available for Pre-Sale on September 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Apple: it look like an ipad.
Engineer: sir but it clearly said archos on the side and it have another color and form...
EEEDDDDDitttt the picture incompetent and mediocre worker... and SUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
sueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Archos needs to try and come down a bit to the sub $200 market.

Tablets are in a size range where if you can travel with a tablet, then you can also travel with a netbook (where they offer significantly better hardware for much less money)

The HP touchpad was great at $100, and even at a price of $150-175, they would have still been good. But When you start getting into netbook territory, tablets start to lose their value extremely fast.

What seems like a better deal to you

Tablet (8 inch screen) with a dual core arm 1GHz CPU, with 512MB ram and 8GB storage, running android, for $300

OR

Netbook (10.1 inch screen) with dual core 1.66GHz intel atom, 1GB ram (upgradable in most cases), 250GB storage (upgradable), User replaceable battery, WIndows 7 starter (can be replaces with any other version of windows, linux, and the mac os, multiple USB ports, external monitor support allowing you to span content across 2 displays instead of just cloning. all for $259

Which seems like a better deal to you?

PS with a full os and non touch screen UI, you get a system that is more optimized for a mouse which means UI elements are smaller allowing more space for content, you also don't have to clean the screen constantly since you are not touching it

you also get physical keyboard (many tablet users end up buying bluetooth keyboards for their tablets, adding $50+ to the overall money put into the already overpriced device.

(and touchscreens are not that expensive to justify the added cost, (whats not included with a tablet compared to a netbook will more than offset the cost of the touchscreen.)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]alcalde[/nom]@Razor Archos already has a $200 design - the 4.3" Archos 43.[/citation]

and it is a bad device, there are many Chinese tablets that offer capacitive touch screen, similar CPU and more RAM for less money.

the archos 43 uses resistive touch screen (easier to scratch so a screen protector is a must. It has very little RAM (256MB), does not allow access to the app store and many other artificially imposed software limitations, and the issue is they are marketing a unnecessarily limited device at $200.

My main issues is these companies are trying to sell devices that are inferior in both hardware and software for significantly more money then the better hardware and software than a netbook.

PS I did use the archos 43 (as I really wanted something to replace my dell axim x51v. I ended up returning it, the UI was designed around using your fingers and not a stylus so you lose screen space, and if you use a stylus with the archos 43, it will scratch the screen after a few swipes of the stylus. but when you use your finger, the surface is not as smooth as a capacitive touch screen so unless your screen is very dry, you will have a lot of resistance when sliding your finger across the screen to scroll or something, this makes the device very frustrating to use.

You also easily run out of RAM because many apps are designed around smartphones that commonly have 512MB ram or more, so good luck trying to multitask.

Status
Not open for further replies.