Arcrtic Silver 5 problem?

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i dont know if this in the right thread...........

hey guys i used Arcrtic Silver 5 for new rig and found it had really high temps compared to my old zalman thermal grease i used to use i thought maybe i hadnt screwed my h70 on right but checked it all and all was fine even took it back off and on agian putting more paste on. i went back to my old paste and temps where fine again.
i thought i would try the Arcrtic Silver 5 on my test rig and what do ya no the same thing with different cooler and setup but going back to my old paste brought the temps back down. i was always told Arcrtic Silver 5 is a really good compound but starting to think otherwise has anyone else had problems with this compound?

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
and even looking at the temp guide my zalman zm stg1 paste rates about the same but in my systems the arcrtic silver 5 is about 10c more
temps.png

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I've never had issues with Arctic Silver 5. Only ever had issues with the base of a cooler being uneven or having too much/too little paste in between the thermal surfaces.

I'd hope you know this already, but AS5 does have a set-in period of (realistically) a week to two weeks that I've measured on a lot of different desktops and laptops. You also need to follow the specific directions that Arctic Silver provides for application onto your CPU (line method, dot, etc.) otherwise you might get poor results, as well.

These days there are better thermal interface materials for purchase, but they are also more expensive than AS5 and typically only differ at most by ~3C.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

^This

kshitijmd

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I think you might be using to much paste. AS5 is a great conductor of heat, but direct metal on metal contact will always be a lot better. Here's my method of applying AS5, and I chill at 27°C while idling.
1) Apply a few very small tiny little minuscule dots on both the heatsink and CPU and spread them out with a lint free cloth (coffee filter) so that the covering is translucent. You just want to fill in the imperfections.
2) Check http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm for the recommend method for your CPU. If they say a line down the middle, put a very thin line down the middle.
3) Mount your H70 with a good amount of pressure. We want as much metal on metal contact as possible, and we also want to spread out the thermal compound. Don't break your CPU pins or motherboard obviously, but don't be too delicate.

Oh, and to clean: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168351000

Cheers!

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
yeah it is altho its not down to the overclock as when im back on the zalman paste it drops loads about 10c have tried always of puttin the paste on but same result. just wanted to see if other people have had similar problems really