Arctic Announces Accelero Hybrid Graphics Card Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO I would still go with a full cover waterblock, simply because I am skeptical about closed loop coolers. Also, 120mm just doesn't seem like it's enough space to withstand a high end card such as the gtx 480, which ran insanely hot. All about tdp...and 120mm isn't enough!

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]IMO I would still go with a full cover waterblock, simply because I am skeptical about closed loop coolers. Also, 120mm just doesn't seem like it's enough space to withstand a high end card such as the gtx 480, which ran insanely hot. All about tdp...and 120mm isn't enough![/citation]

If one of these water loops spring a leak, your high-end system is done for.

franky4ro

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
gtx 600 series my ass :))....i bougth GTX 680 gainward Phantom and it slick and cool in my antec 300 with noctua fans...liquide cooling can kiss me

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]franky4ro[/nom]gtx 600 series my ass )....i bougth GTX 680 gainward Phantom and it slick and cool in my antec 300 with noctua fans...liquide cooling can kiss me[/citation]
Depending on the situation, water cooling can be a worthy upgrade over air cooling, very much unlike CPU cooling though.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]If one of these water loops spring a leak, your high-end system is done for.[/citation]

If the fuel pump under the hood of your car springs a leak ( and ends up spraying gasoline over your hot engine -happened to me !) you are in for some interesting storytelling too.

I don't think that a properly installed and maintained water cooling system is in any danger of springing a leak. Also I'm not recommend this type installation to rookies. It may be story telling time too a little later :)

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If i've got this right, an 80mm fan blowing on the card, while also a watercooling loop with one,possibly expandable to two, 120mm fan(s) on the radiator. That's not bad. Even if it costs $150 - $200, that's about what it would cost for a conventional full-cover block + pump + accessories and what not with AMD 6000 and Nvidia 500 series graphics cards (haven't looked at the pricing on blocks for the 7000/600 series yet).

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]youssef 2010[/nom]If one of these water loops spring a leak, your high-end system is done for.[/citation]
A closed system like this - how often do they spring a leak? I haven't heard of a case, unless it was through gross mishandling and improper installation (i.e. they kinked/cut/abused a hose or fitting) . . .

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]IMO I would still go with a full cover waterblock, simply because I am skeptical about closed loop coolers. Also, 120mm just doesn't seem like it's enough space to withstand a high end card such as the gtx 480, which ran insanely hot. All about tdp...and 120mm isn't enough![/citation]
don't hold your breath waiting for your refrigerator and air conditioner in your home and autmobile to die then.
i'd be more skeptical of those rubber'ish looking hoses leaking due to bad connections.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
What is with so many negative Nancie's on this damn site everything is always whine whine whine whinge whinge whinge STFU if you have nothing to say ESPECIALLY if you have never used the damn product. Just FFS really urgh.

I've been wondering about a hybrid air and water cooler for years, thinking that it would be pretty dang cool. Now I've seen one and those thoughts seem to have been justified.

Now, how about a CPU (or GPU) cooler that pumps water through the copper heat pipes? It sounds like a really cool and effective idea to me. It would allow the main heat-sink's fins to dissipate some of the heat and to have a radiator dissipate the rest of it. I might even try my hand at modding a cheap cooler such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and see if I can do it. Of course, that would be a pretty big undertaking... However, it's a sub $30 cooler (goes on sale at newegg for $20 every now and then), so it's no big deal if it fails. Even if it fails, it should still cool well enough for me to shut it down before damage is done to the CPU or motherboard.

tindahbawx

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I had a water cooling system spring a leak on me in the past. It made windows bluescreen, so I knew something had gone wrong.

Just took the side off, aired it out, and when it was dry booted it up again. Worked fine.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
It is just like porocessor liquid cooling kit from Corsair H100,H80 etc for the graphic card users to get a liquid cooling at a better way without any hassle free liquid setup up.

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I have been using closed loop water coolers for a couple of years and have had no problems. In fact, I am currently using an H100 and an H50 in a couple of my computers. I''ve also used the H70 without issue.
Corsair offers a 5 year warranty on their entire new Hydro line, except for the H40 which gets a 2 year warranty. In the few cases I've heard of where a Corsair cooler leaked because of a manufacturing defect, Corsair has replaced any damaged equipment (on one occasion with better/newer equipment).
There is a guy on Overclock.net (ocn) who makes a bracket for adding a closed loop water cooler to GPUs with a spot for a fan. He only charges something like $10 for it and lots of people are using it now. As for all the idiots putting down closed loop water coolers, some people are using three of them (CPU, 2 x GPU in crossfire) without any problems and WITH BETTER TEMPS than the stock coolers. Bite me.

As for the Arctic version above, it looks great. I would like to know if it would fit between two crossfired cards with the stock coolers removed. If it does, I may want to try a couple of them for my 2 x HD6970 cards.

Really, IMO, if you haven't tried closed loop water coolers, please st*u. You have no clue what you're talking about. The H100 is as good or better than any pure air solution on the market and it doesn't hang a ton of metal off your CPU socket. I'm not saying air coolers are bad, I'm saying the top end water coolers are every bit as good (and more expensive too). I think it comes down to a choice of which you prefer.

Some of you guys who think they suck should go and check out some of the builds on ocn and overclockers.com and other sites. I think you'll be impressed.

[citation]As for all the idiots putting down closed loop water coolers, some people are using three of them (CPU, 2 x GPU in crossfire) without any problems and WITH BETTER TEMPS than the stock coolers. Bite me...

The H100 is as good or better than any pure air solution on the market and it doesn't hang a ton of metal off your CPU socket.[/citation]

Realize most of the people that you're arguing with aren't contesting that air is better than all-in-one coolers; they're saying that an investment in a custom loop (or even a kit loop) is much more cost effective than all-in-one units.

The two statements above are what make AICs cost-ineffective in many cases - they cost a pretty penny, but they really only beat out the stock coolers and *some* air coolers. Realize the stock coolers are only designed to keep the cards and CPUs from hitting their thermal ceilings (which on some GPUs is 100C or more), so anything lower than that is an improvement and modified AICs will definitely perform better.

However, for the same money you spend on the H100 to hit the mid 50Cs on a CPU, you can get a better kit loop that could get you below 50C. Sure, the AICs are more convenient, but don't be a dick and start bragging when you have no idea what thermal performance really is. My 670 hits 35C max with low speed (i.e. near silent) generic Cooler Master fans. Put some Gentle Typhoons on my rad, I'm looking at maybe 30C max.

tbirgensmith

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If the fuel pump under the hood of your car springs a leak ( and ends up spraying gasoline over your hot engine -happened to me !) you are in for some interesting storytelling too.[/citation]

What type of car are you driving that has a fuel pump under the hood? Where is the gas tank located?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Finally it looks like Arctic is making a closed loop cooler designed to fit the GPU screw holes. I did the zip tie mod with a Kuhler 620 CPU closed loop cooler on a 6870 and then applying heat sinks to cool the RAM and other parts on the board. Worked great and allowed an overclock that generated 40% higher than average 6870
Passmark graphic numbers while much quieter than the XFX cooler. Should be a great and modest cost cooling solution especially for the 290 series or if you have an out of warranty or noisy fan go bad on an OEM non-reference cooler.

I have a h100 cooling my over locked CPU, make sense to use a similar solution for the GPU. Should probably cost somewhere between $70-100.

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Wow, I don't know why I was never notified of this reply. but you are wrong in that, I have an excellent idea what thermal performance is. In fact, with many of the newer water coolers, they beat the top end air coolers. Also, there is just no way I'm going to find a complete open loop for $100. It just ain't going to happen. There are also many other advantages as well, like keeping the system portable, and no maintenance. Also, regarding air coolers, many of us don't like having this huge thing in the middle of our case, weighing a tone, and hanging off the cpu/motherboard.

One thing you completely skip over is overclocking. Closed loop coolers are great for overclocking. Sure, they won't let you hit the max like higher-end openloop systems, but then they also don't max out your bank account either. On the very first CL system I bought (the H70), not only was I running 20c cooler than the stock air cooler, but it was also overclocked by 800MHz while it was running under load. So, 20c less temperature, and 800MHz faster. That's pretty decent.
As I mentioned in my first comment, I'm not saying air coolers (the top end coolers) are bad, but some of us just don't want all the metal hanging off of our motherboard/cpu. Some of us also think it looks ugly as well.

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

I couldn't agree more. Don't waste your breath though. There's a bunch of "experts" here who, although they have never tried one, know that AIO water coolers suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.